PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP WITH NEW LAPTOP AND ROUTER!!!

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 22, 2008, 02:45 AM
G'day all, finally got my new PC toshiba M300/300 with 4Gb ram and a wireless router for my super fast cable connection (this thing downloads at over 2MB/sec i download movies way fatser then i can watch them).

Problem: my world of warcraft experience is MISERABLE!!!! i've got latency so high my instant cast spells have a 4 sec cast time and in PVPing I'm dead before i even see the guy smashing me.

Any ideas? router is a D link it has a firewall, my windows vista has a fire wall, i use a blue tooth mouse (which might interfear with wireless connection).

any help much appreciated.

ChrisEddy85
Fri Aug 22, 2008, 07:34 AM
Tip 1:

Get rid of the wireless. I used to play online and found that as soon as I got a cable connection to the router, latencies were ridiculously better.

The reason for this is for the upload speeds. You are experiencing really good downloads (well, there are better, but they are good) when downloading files, although when the transfer of data is back and forth, thats when you lose out. Wireless systems are always inferior to cabled systems, as you can imagine when the system is firing data off around the room, hoping that it reaches the destination.

Tip 2:

Stop playing WoW.

Haha, you'll be surprised how much more free time you have

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 22, 2008, 07:43 AM
Cheers mate will try a plug tonight, as for the tip 2. fat chance. the wife made me get the new pc + new account + character tansfer cause she's "sick of playing with ****ing idiots who dont know how to play"

I stop WOW I loose wife. go figure :ug

taksan
Fri Aug 22, 2008, 01:33 PM
Tip 1
Throw out the PC .....stop playing games and get a MAC

If your wife does leave let me know ...because then I'll try it here ;-)

ILLUSN
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 12:15 AM
LOL

gingerbeer01
Sun Aug 24, 2008, 10:15 PM
A handy link to check download and upload speeds.

http://broadbandguide.com.au/broadband-speed-test?gclid=CNaZ3eLH1JQCFR4sagodmBwfkg