PDA

View Full Version : Using Seachem Matrix Pond in canister filters

flaggy
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
G'day

I am currently using Matrix Pond in my wet dry filter.

I will be purchasing a new canister filter, and would like to move the Matrix Pond from my wet dry filter to the new canister filter.

Will Matrix Pond be effective in the new canister filter? Will the large size have any impact on the filter flow?

Thanks

taksan
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 01:27 PM
Should be ok but not as good as normal Matrix or Eheim Substrate Pro

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
doesnt really have the surface area of other medias i asked seachem what the surface area of pond matrix was and they said a little less than nornal matrix. this is still far less than sintered glass media.

flaggy
Fri Aug 22, 2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks. I guess ultimately I would be using something more suitable or optimised for canisters, but perhaps use the matrix pond initially to seed the new filter.

taksan
Fri Aug 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
doesnt really have the surface area of other medias i asked seachem what the surface area of pond matrix was and they said a little less than nornal matrix. this is still far less than sintered glass media.

Jothy Matrix IS sintered glass media :wink:

ILLUSN
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 12:13 AM
Sorry mate thought matrix was pummice?
seachem wont tell me what it is, sintered glass medias usually have surface area around 210 (siporax)-1500 (micromech) square meters/L where as matirix has like 160000 square cm/L (16 square meters/L)

taksan
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 12:01 PM
Pummice is basically natural fused silica ....ie Sintered glass only its natrual rather then man made.
Matrix is about 160 Sq/m per liter but offers another 300 odd Sq meters in sub 5 micron holes that other medias don't have.
The best thing about matrix is its small enough to support anaerobic nitrate eating bacteria.
That said .... geeze I like EfiSubstrat Pro best......

ILLUSN
Sun Aug 24, 2008, 10:22 PM
pay that best thing about pro is it lasts forever after a few years efhi substrate seems to just shatter whilst after the same time pro still has its shape and doesnt fall through the holes in the media baskets.
The best thin.g about matrix imo is how easy the stuff is to clean. A quick dunk in some tank water and all the muck comes off. No fuss. Thats why i use it in all my pondfilters and prefilters.

fishyfishyfish
Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:46 PM
So Guys,

I see the comments on advantages and disadvantages of both but how do Matrix Vs Substrate Pro stack up as far as filtration performance?

Krumpet
Tue Aug 26, 2008, 11:46 PM
yea I'm also interested to hear opinions on this matter as I'm about to change my media over to one or the other.

I would have thought that matrix's nitrate removing abilities would bump it right up there on par with the substrat pro? having said that i run dual canisters so i have plenty of room for more media to make up for the smaller aerobic surface area of matrix.

Just curious i searched the seachem website and their faq's and i couldn't find a value for matrix's sub 5 micron surface area capabilities. may i ask how you came up with 300sqm taksan?

cheers
matt

i spose while were on the topic, does anyone know anything about aquaclay's specs? i just bought some because it was cheap and it has been great so far but i always have to know the specifics of things and its been bugging me.

taksan
Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:34 PM
Matrix is washed natrual silica pummice which runs about 66% to 33% <5 micron to >5 micron ratio.
The debate between Efisubstrate Pro vs Martix ......
Now on a PURELY BIOLOGICAL BASIS
Efisubstrate pro is about 4 times as effective in a underwater application such as a cannister filter or up/down flow through sump. But... it clogs more easily therefore that effectivness is reduced but it has a better shape so flow is generaly better.
In a trickle /out of water application Efisubstrate Pro does tend to clog and reduce flow quicker then matrix (a hint is to mix a few standard glass rings in with it) and generaly I prefer Matrix (pond matrix to be exact) for top filters, trickle towers and pond applications even though the benifits of nitrate reduction will not apply in this application.
What I do is actually mix them up... I use both

Krumpet
Sun Aug 31, 2008, 08:14 AM
thanks for that taksan. i'm gonna give that a go