PDA

View Full Version : A bit of detective work - algae type question

TimboS
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 05:16 AM
Hi all,

Algae, diatoms, whatever you want to call them. They seem to be a rather persistent annoyance. Let me briefly explain my situation:

*124L AquaOne Euroview tank. 4 discus, the biggest no more than 9-10 cm mouth to end of tailfin. A few bristlenose, a clown loach and three female siamese fighters.

*My tapwater (in northeast Adelaide) is a KH of 0 to 1 degrees, and GH of 8 or so degrees. This however is aged for a week in a small tank using a filter with zeocarb before being used in a water change. The pH doesn't change during this, staying at something like 7.4, but in the main tank this reduces to about neutral before a water change.

* I use an internal (24W) internal UV filter and small Eheim pick-up filter for surface agitation but no air stone.

* My substrate is a mix of sand and small aqua one quartz (about an 1" worth over the bottom)

* There are not many plants - predominantly one large and two small anubis. No plant supplements.

* The lighting is that ridiculous AquaOne PR series reflector with twin 18W globes and is on for 8 hours a day.

* NO direct sunlight on the tank.

* Feeding is twice a day. The food is only ever frozen hikari bloodworm and spiruline brine shrimp (my fish are fussy devils). Two blocks in the morning, two blocks at night.

What's the problem? The roots of my anubis are covered in a brown algae (diatoms?) that looks terrible and the inside of the glass walls of the tank get a very fine, almost woolly, covering of something. (The white threads, for lack of a better description, are not noticeable until you are up close looking and are only a couple of mm long at most). Also, the surface of the water gets rather bubbly around the tank edges, presumably because of salt.

The above description of my tank has come to cause me the least problems since having discus. I have tried plant supplements and more light, but the diatoms get worse. I have tried cutting back the food, but it barely changes anything, etc. (Still, having said that, if anyone sees a glaring problem please bring it to my attention).

My tank also seems to have a very fine sediment through it and has become more obvious now that I have black backing against the rear wall of the tank.

At the end of the day, my tank has never been like display tanks in various stores where the aquatic plant foliage is pristine, unblemished green and the water is pretty much sediment free. (It's been close, but not as much as I would like).

I guess I am asking if anyone can see a problem with my setup that may cause diatoms or algae. (In fact, there's a bit of green algae forming on the side of some ornaments and driftwood in the tank. Only a small amount, but it is there and it has me baffled).

???

Timbo

FNQ
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:03 AM
What filtration medium are you using. It sounds like you have an issue with too much nitrates. Try using zeolite in the filter on the tank and restrict the light for a week. The Sediment in the water sounds like a filtration issue.

Big Daddy1
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 12:32 PM
What are your nitrates? My guess is they're around 40ppm being too much.

Sounds like a bit of food. What is your wc schedule and how much?

You shouldn't need sups with anubias. Are they planted or attached to something?

I also think you might be overstocked. I wouldn't have that much in a 30g tank.

TimboS
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 02:55 AM
Hi FNQ and Big Daddy,

The filtration medium, at the time of writing, covered everything from bioballs to bionoodles to zeocarb (and fine filter wool).

The nitrates were no more than 15ppm.

The wc schedule was 1/3rd twice a week, but I cut back to once a week to test a few things and my discus, historically, have only spawned when my wc schedule was just once a week so if it ain't broke don't fix it - I am sticking with once a week.

The largest anubis is attached to some wood and the roots are going everywhere but around it!

Over the weekend I actually thought it was time to bite the bullet and remove two discus so now I have two only in the main tank. I also rewashed the substrate, cleaned the filter, did a large water change, etc and now the tank is down to 7-8ppm nitrate and pH of 7.0 to 7.2. I also dosed the plants in question in a bucket of 200% Flourish Excel solution for a few hours and that seems to have given the diatoms something to think about...

Since I removed the stands for my lights and now have the enclosure sitting on top of the glass panes, there's a fair bit more light penetrating all the way to the substrate and things *appear* to be growing a bit quicker but that guess is, by and large, superficial so it's only been a few days or so since the change. If indeed true, I hope this will give the plants more of a chance to grow and consume what the diatoms normally had to dine on (and less fish means less food means less waste, etc).

Now, what to do with the FOTU and Blue turq. pair I had to remove from the main tank ??? (Female and pretty sure male, respectively. They spawn but nothing just yet - I suspect too young and I would like to keep them going but Discus = money money money and at this time 2 is enough I think. It also doesn't help when you live in a villa style house with enough room to swing a cat and that's about it).

Big Daddy1
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 03:43 AM
Quite a bit of work you've done. I hope you have nailed it. Good luck.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Aug 28, 2008, 04:59 AM
I have also been getting alot of algae on my plants lately. Green spot and that cruddy looking brown crap. For me it seemed to coincide with starting to add Seachem Trace. I have stopped now and will see if it persists. I have also moved my tank to mu new house so im sure the whole pull down and put back up has ruined any chance of working out what it is for now.

Did the excel bath make a difference? Id love to be able to clean my plants up a bit.

Ado

Big Daddy1
Thu Aug 28, 2008, 02:21 PM
Lights!

How old are the bulbs?

Old bulbs definitely have this affect. I replace mine every 6-9 months, otherwise I get the brown algae and I have Vals in my tank which suck up nutrition quickly.

In addition, concentrating the light on a particular location will do this.

TimboS
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 04:14 AM
First, for BigDaddyAdo - I think the bath has certainly stripped 50% of it, or more. The host plants seem none the wiser, if not actually happier as a result of the experience.

Second, for BigDaddy1, the lights are probably 3 months old. With the AquaOne PR series reflector setup you can only go to 18W X 2 and this is what I have done. Mind you, I have switched off the globe above the anubis to lessen the total light in the tank so there's only one 18W globe running. This seems to have dropped the level of diatoms in the tank but I am interested to see if this is still the case in one month's time...

To show you exactly what I mean, I recently added a few things to the tank and took a happy snap for the forum.

FYI - one blindingly fast clown loach, 3 albino corydoras, 3 bristlenose & 3 discus (1 female FOTU in the back top right looking after a clutch of eggs, 1 male blue turq. at the front bottom right in front of the shack ornament and 1 cobalt blue female at the back top left). Tank is a 120L AquaOne Euroview and the photo was taken at night on Canon EOS 450D, no flash, f3.2 ish and about 1/20th shutter - not bad for hand held I think!