PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 2213.. need cheap source of sponge/wool

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 18, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hi,

With Ehiem canisters comming down in price I will buy a small 2213 this week and place it up the "other end of my tank". I have two heaters in a Juwel Vision 450, with one of the heaters near the existing eheim canister pickup.

I am planning on putting this little filter so the pickup is close to the second heater to circulate the water down that end of the tank. This may also allow me to slow down the flow on my 2228 to increase UV effeciency which is inline with this filter..

I was also hoping this filter would asist in clearing the very fine floating stuff and such was thinking of loading it with just sponge and wool...Thus my question, instead of paying for additonal ehiem sponge and filter wool what are some alternatives ?

I was thinking using the ehiem noodle/sponge at the bottom and just fill the rest with filter wool, to try and polish the water.

any thoughts

rob

DIY
Mon Aug 18, 2008, 01:09 PM
I rang several manufacturers of polyester after finding out the stuff I was buying at spotlight was treated with an antibacterial agent :shock:

Several manufacturers use recycled materials although believed the process would make it safe for aqaurium use :? one treats for bacteria :shock: but I was able to find a local one that is 100% pure polyester and easy to get - "Auspoly" brand in white packs, in fact they told me they considered selling aquarium sized packs to the industry but decided it wasn't enough volume to be worthwhile. Mitre 10 sell the "Auspoly" polyester batts in a bag R1.5 is a managable thickness plus it's easy to half the thickness and not too hard to cut too size - best of all it works out very cheap :wink:

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
Sounds great, You think i could just fill the entire filter ?

DIY
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 03:23 AM
Should work fine, just be careful of it blocking up :wink:

bartek
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 04:10 AM
I would be very careful that the wool doesn't glog up the eheim.

How fine is the Auspoly wool? If its pretty fine I would buy a courser sponge or wool in the layer before the Auspoly stuff.

DIY
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 08:29 AM
It's actually more of a wadding than the loose type wool so you can cut it to shape etc. It's hard to describe accurately in a way that's not subjective but I would call it medium density, if you packed it tightly it would block pretty quick - but packed "normally" I think it would polish the water well and not block too quickly... I know that sounds vague but even course sponge will block eventually :roll:

DIY
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
It's too cold and I'm too lazy :lol: to go out to the garage and take a photo of the actual batts but this picture gives you and idea of what it looks like... it's not exactly the same but similar only the batts are much larger - 1170mm x 430mm and there's 16 batts in a bag :shock: from memory it was about $45 per bag

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 11:33 AM
Lots of idea's here thanks, Distilling these I might try:

Large hole ehiem blue sponge at the bottom, loosly roll up some filter wading like a toilet roll and place as middle layer and then another large hole blue sponge on top.

Using it like a toilet roll will mean easier to cut, maybe better fit within canister and may have better tollerence to blockage as I should be able to adjust the denisty better. I.e. how tight I make the roll fit in the canister is directly proportional to both pressure drop across ver the length I use.

I once purchased a very expensive oil filter for my car that simply used a toilet roll in this manner to filter particulates in oil.

rob