PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS & SALT BATH

discusfantasy
Sun Aug 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hi

I have been told its good to salt your discus tank from time to time, is this true?

if yes can someone please tell me what salt i use and how much salt to use & how often should i give them a salt bath? Also will this slow down my community tank of adult discus from paring up?

Thanks Guys

mistakes r crucial
Sun Aug 17, 2008, 09:14 PM
Salt is a good first line of defense against minor problems, it allows them to breath a bit easier and it's a mild antiseptic. It won't stop your pairs from breeding but it's not something you want to over do because when you really need it it won't work.

You need rock salt which you can buy at most supermarkets. If you buy it from a LFS they will charge you 6 times more for the same thing so Coles or Woolies is the way to go. 1 teaspoon per 40 litres is a popular dosage rate.
Cheers
MAC

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 18, 2008, 02:24 PM
salt is also great if you have an ammonia spike. It stops no3 poisoning.

Squid
Wed Aug 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
Salt may be good for the short term but be aware that it does change the gill chloride cell structure/density in the gill lamellae. This causes stresses to the fishes when they are exposed again to 'saltless' waters. But if people understood the medicinal properties of salt, the aquarium pharmaceutical providers would be out of work. It is my drug of choice but I dont use it prophalactically.