PDA

View Full Version : Tunze C02 Diffuser or Rhinnox 5000 Glass diffuser

TW
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:49 AM
My tank is around 550litres. Currently I have rhinnox 5000 glass diffuser at each end of the tank, positioned in the flow of the water return to help scatter the C02. I was planning to try to get a small pump to further disperse it, but wondering if I should try the Tunze C02 Diffuser.

I don't want anything big & ugly in the tank. It's described as being something to use when little space is available.

Does anyone have experience with the tunze. How big & bulky is it?

Or, will the 5000 glass diffuser be ok for the job in my tank, if I add a small pump.

Thanks in advance, Robyn

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 04:04 AM
tunze isn't a big unit, the pump itsels is around 5x4x3cm and the chamber an inch in diameter and around 25cm long.

just a warning they tend to clog easily, and the metal shaft for the impeller likes to go wondering during in tank cleaning.

TW
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 04:06 AM
Thanks for quick reply. Then, am I better to stick with what I have, but add a small pump. Do you know any small, descreet little pumps that would do the job well?

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 05:05 AM
I thought you had a spare eheim pump lying around? any small pump around 300L/h will be plenty, if you can mount your diffusers as close to the bottom of the tank as you can so they have more height to diffuse through.

TW
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 05:07 AM
Yes, I do have a small spare eheim pump. Had been hoping for something smaller (in size)

shewey
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 05:26 AM
Have you thought about getting a reactor for a tank your size? Aquamedic make a good one. Then you can hook it up inline with your filter and they are much more efficient that diffusors. I run a single rhinox 5000 on my 300gal tank and it just manages to handle it, but next time I would go a reactor for sure.

Cheers,
Mark

TW
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 05:28 AM
Hi Shewey

Do they sit outside the tank. Do you know the model or other details.

I have 2 x rhinnox 5000

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 07:14 AM
becarefull with the external reacters, i have a dupla one and it uses 9mm connections, this is a MASSIVE restriction point for any canister, the flow through the thing is negligable if you want to give one a go you can borrow mine to try it.

TW
Wed Aug 13, 2008, 03:59 AM
Thanks for that offer, ILLUSN. I have decided to stick with the 2 x rhinnox 5000, mainly because I already have them & seems a waste not to use them. Hopefully, 2 in the tank should be enough to do the job. They will both feed from the same C02 bottle, but each has it's own bubble counter & speed controller.

Bec from Xtreme recommend this http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2055. It's apparently tiny. My plan is to put the diffuser as close to the substrate as possible, & position the pump about 2cm away. Idea is it will suck in the C02 bubbles and push them out to disperse better through the tank. I've ordered 2 of them.

Thanks for all your help.

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 13, 2008, 06:00 AM
bec would know best, man that thing looks small

TW
Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:28 AM
man that thing looks small I hope so, I want it really discreet. Do you think it's too small?

Bec suggested this one, but that's because I asked her to suggest a pump that does around 200l/h & was tiny - not because I asked her what would work best. So all blame to me, if it's not right.

Someone I know, who has an extremely successful hi-tech 125G planted tank, has this setup (but only the one rhinox 5000, whereas I have 2 - one at each end). He said I would only need a pump 200L/h. I see you suggested 300 L/h.

I hope the 200L will be sufficient. There was a slightly bigger one, that does 250L I think (same brand).