PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a canister filter

lpiasente
Mon Aug 11, 2008, 11:07 AM
I have just cleaned my canister filter for the second time in 4 months. Ewwww it was full of brown sludge. When wash the filter media I use water from the tank as to not kill the bacteria but how clean should I get the filter media? I have just given it a good dip and squeeze a few times but didn't get it rinsing clear. Is that right or should I rinse it squeaky clean in the tankwater?

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
that should be fine most of the organics are in the mech media which you should get cleaner. If your filter was that dirty maybe you should copieds cleaning it more often. I do mind once a month for that reason.

lpiasente
Mon Aug 11, 2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry to sound stupid but what is mech media? All I washed was the filter wool and the sponge and tipped out all the water. I didn't touch the noodles or the bio balls. I wasn't very sure about how clean to get it as I didn't want to upset the bacteria.

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 11, 2008, 11:55 PM
ok, when you clean a canister, replace the white wool, its fine mech media and is only really good for one use.

the corse sponge is good for 2 or 3 cleans, i just wash mine in a bucket or 2 (or sometimes 3) of tank water.

your bio media are your bio balls and to a lesser degree your noodles, give these a quick rinse in tank water only, done go to crazy trying to get them clean or else you'll loose all the bacteria on them.

when your done empty your canister of all the water (and sludge) give it a quick wipe with some sponce and water (tap water is fine here) and repack the filter and your all clean. every 6 mths or so you'll have to work a tube cleaning brush through the hoses.

lpiasente
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks very much :D :D