PDA

View Full Version : My dog..

Matthew!
Sun Aug 10, 2008, 03:38 AM
Well, I'm looking at buying a Discus setup and I know that they can be very temperamental. Could someone tell me whether they would be bothered by my dog? I don't think he would jump up or anything like that but I heard they can be sensitive with traffic walking past the tank. He's only in there when he's sleeping but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Any help would be much appreciated :wink:

lpiasente
Sun Aug 10, 2008, 04:08 AM
I have mine in the main lounge and with 3 busy boys running around they had no choice than to get used to them and they have.

Matthew!
Sun Aug 10, 2008, 04:30 AM
Ok, thanks a lot. That's good news :D

DIY
Sun Aug 10, 2008, 05:02 AM
I swear mine tease the cats by swimming up to them.. the cats paw the glass and get frustrated while the fish just watch them.... :lol:

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 10, 2008, 05:34 AM
Welcome to the forum Matthew.

Your discus will happily cope with the movement of humans and pets in the house. In fact, sometimes I think the more movement the better. Makes them become bold, and more inclined to spend their time at the front of the tank, where they can see what's going on in the room, and of course, we can see them !

Matthew!
Sun Aug 10, 2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks!

waitaki
Sun Aug 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
my pup ocassionally gets startled by the discus movement and barks at them, they just gang up at the glass flapping their fins, no stress 8-)

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Aug 11, 2008, 03:31 AM
They swim down lower in the tank to glare at my 1 year old when he is up at the tank and never fail to greet my 4 year old. If they are normally kept in a quiet place then some thing runs in they will startle but if they are around it alot the get used to it.

Ado

bartek
Mon Aug 11, 2008, 05:52 AM
My tank is in the lounge room and when my wife and I are sitting on the lounge watching TV the discus all come to the corner of the tank closest to us.

They like to make sure you know they are there, just incase you may forget while sitting across the room. Also get excited when they see me approaching with the food.