PDA

View Full Version : pathogens please help

ltgoof
Fri Aug 08, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hello everyone,

I have noticed white stuffs hangging on my aquarium glass, first I thought they are linths or dirt that was trapped on a slimy part of my aquarium. I scraped them out every other day to have a nice clear aquarium.

Until today i noticed something strange with one of my leopards that he is not that lively as before, he doesnt eat as much as before (he used to be one of my aquarium pigs). So I started to panic and trace the root cause. I took a closer look on those white stuffs hangging on my aquarium wall and I noticed that those are not linth or dirt, they are pathogens as they look like jelly fish (microscopic version). So I grab my camera and took a shot, zoom it up to the biggest zoom it is capable of. please see attached pics. There are also worm like organism as I zoom and have a clear view of those stuffs, I also noticed that those worm like are moving or crawling on the glass. It is almost imposible to see them, but with the help of a pretty good lens, you'll see them clearly.

Can anybody recognize what are these? Are they bad for my discus? If so what should I do to get rid of them.

Thanks.

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Aug 08, 2008, 11:58 AM
The little worm like things are planaria. They are not harmful and are generally caused by overfeeding.

I have no idea what the other thing is.

Ado

Hollowman
Fri Aug 08, 2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, as Ado says the wormy things are Planaria, caused by over feeding and poor maintenance.
Up your water changes, daily if you can for the next few days and you will see the planaria disappear. Then keep up more regular water changes. Make sure you wipe down the glass sides of the tank with a paper kitchen towel to remove the residue of bacteria hanging on the glass, do this at least once a week.

hth :)

ltgoof
Sat Aug 09, 2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for your advice BigDaddy and Hollowman.