PDA

View Full Version : substrate

lpiasente
Thu Aug 07, 2008, 07:24 AM
I noticed in quite a few pics that sand is often used as a substrate. What type of sand is it? Do you need a certain type of filter to have sand? Is it ok for bottom dwellers? How do you clean it? How well do plants grow in it? Does it alter water conditions? I think that is all. :) Leanne

pink66
Thu Aug 07, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hi Leanne, Only recently got into sand myself but let's see if I have learnt anything from the guys and girls in the forum :D .
The sand is a 16/30 grade pool filter sand (beware which one you pick up as some are not as white as others.. . I have not been too brave and have all my plants in pots filled with eco-complete (and they are very happy) It is easy to clean as you just hover your cleaner over the surface as to pick up the "poo" and not low enough to pick up the sand. (I did read a post where they said that when it looks a bit discoloured they remove it and wash it but I have not had it that long yet to know) My bottom dwellers just love it and spend lots of time wandering around on the sand looking for scraps. And I can also say that it has not changed my water conditions at all.. (the funniest thing was watching my discus learning how to pick up food without the mouthful of sand with it.. took a couple of days :lol: :lol: I know that if you are looking at planting directly into the sand you can use a second substrate underneath the sand possibly eco complete and then layer the sand on top. (Illusn can you pls correct me if I have got this bit wrong :wink: )

I must say my tank looked ok with the use of plants and gravel, but now it has a large area of sand I am very happy with it indeed.. It is a meeting place for all the fish :) and looks great.

Hope this helps you decide. regards, Sharon

lpiasente
Thu Aug 07, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Sharon thanks for the reply. I am getting a 5x2x2 in November and I am seriously considering sand, it looks great. I'm not too sure on having to replace it when it discolours. How often does this need doing?

pink66
Thu Aug 07, 2008, 11:07 AM
Wish I could find the post but I have read soooo many I would be hard pressed to trip over it on purpose..

but I am sure it said that they wash it (only because they prefer it super white) and it comes up ok.. As far as I can see at the moment, stuff just sits on the top and does not really get into it.. when you syphon it is all gone and the sand is still fine..

there are two posts I found helpful.. a sticky - What sand to use and a post - 7ft planted tank - planning stage by TW.. There is a lot of discussion about types of sand. It helped my heaps.. :D

I was worried about using sand (pool filter version) but now I have I am wrapped.. :D :D

lpiasente
Thu Aug 07, 2008, 11:11 AM
Any pics of your tank on here?

pink66
Thu Aug 07, 2008, 11:30 AM
pics on Finn's new Home in amazon garden

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17122&highlight=

hope that works..

if not I have attached one pic :D sorry about the sad camera quality. also before I put the fish in.

lpiasente
Thu Aug 07, 2008, 08:48 PM
That's the tank I have been eyeing off. I love the white sand in the middle.
I also love your cichlid tank. I have electric yellows at them moment and will be upsizing their tank in a couple of weeks so some renos on the way.