PDA

View Full Version : CO2 regulator that will fit a fire extinguisher

duckeo
Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hi All,

I currently have a whole bunch of fire extinguishers filled with Co2 - I have an AquaMagic regulator which I'm trying to get to fit the thread (~21mm) - the thread is the correct size, but the part inside is larger on the regulator and doesn't appear to be the correct type to allow the whole thing to mate correctly. I'm planning a trip to swagelok soon to look for bits, however it's only open business hours and I'm not 100% sure what I'm after.

I'm looking at contingencies - does anyone know of a regulator (with gauge & solenoid) that natively fits the standard Co2 output of a fire extinguisher's ~21mm thread? I have a feeling the Milkwaukee does, but I am not 100% sure. If anyone else has had experience, or know the parts to get the AquaMagic working that'd be great also!

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 06, 2008, 02:41 AM
get a 13mm drill bit and gently take out some meat from the manifold. Even if you in to swaglock it wont help you. You need a 1/2 inch male thread 2 fit the reg and an interior diametre of 13mm for it to engage properly. A tunze or milwakee will fit with no mods

duckeo
Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:51 PM
get a 13mm drill bit and gently take out some meat from the manifold. Even if you in to swaglock it wont help you. You need a 1/2 inch male thread 2 fit the reg and an interior diametre of 13mm for it to engage properly. A tunze or milwakee will fit with no mods

You mean drill into the manifold of the extinguisher itself? That sounds rather drastic and dangerous! I may actually go down the tunze/milkwaukee path instead, and sell the AquaMagic.

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 06, 2008, 02:43 PM
no worries, it isn't that hard, you only need to remove a little meat, i had to do the same on all my swagelok parts to get a JBL reg to fit.

scuba123cliff
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:38 AM
Hi guys just found this post. I have used an AZOO regulator and it screwed straight into my fire ex, hope this is not to late to be of some help .
Cliff

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 18, 2008, 12:14 PM
If you do drill the extinguisher thread, be careful to remove all swarf afterwards...as if you get a piece of metal filling making its way to the seat of the regulator/ diaphram you will have problems. i.e. like no pressure reduction !

rob

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
good call rob!

duckeo
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 10:20 AM
I've got the Tunze now, just fitting it on, it appears to fit flush against the extinguisher and the O-RING isn't really doing much to help seal it, am I just supposed to screw this on *very* tight?

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
I assume the regulator nut and bottles male threaded stud are the correct thread... A picture would allow a better description of what to do as my tunze reg has a large teflon washer that seats against the bottles stud.

If you just loosly fit the regulator onto the stud and do the nut up hand tight the regulator will still swivel correct ?. As you tighten the nut with a spanner the regulator should no longer be able to swivel around the stud, you should not need to use a huge spanner and all your might to do it up to the point of it not swiveling, if this is the case something is wrong. This will tell you that it is done up against the face of the stud. Turning on the bottle you will soon find out if it leaks. :) Make sure the regulator is facing away from you the first time you turn on the bottle & remember Escaping gas can be extreeemly cold and burn you, so if in doubt some gardening gloves. If your not sure get someone to double check.

rob

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
a bit of gas fitters tape on the thread never goes astray either.