PDA

View Full Version : Adding extra filtration.....problems?

heavyd
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 04:05 AM
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but my search was unsuccessful :cry:

So I'll ask away. I currently have a 5x2x2 discus setup running a sump filtration system. I've decided to upgrade the filtration with the addition of an Eheim 2217.

Now I plan to 'seed' the canister filter with some cycled wool from my sump. My question is, will the new filter produce dangerous ammonia and nitrite whilst cycling? I'm unsure as the tank itself is well cycled.....

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 04:21 AM
Filters do not produce ammonia or nitrate as such. They simply convert it to something else. Adding the new filter will not cause any problems.

Ado

heavyd
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 04:26 AM
So as the good bacteria develops in the filter, the by-products that they produce (ammonia and nitrites) will be handled by the established bacteria in the fully cycled sump filter?

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 05:10 AM
The good bacteria takes the AMMONIA (created by fish wee and poo, excess food, rotting biological material, etc) and turns it into less harmful NITRITE. Then another type of good bacteria takes the NITRITE and turns it into much less harmful NITRATE. The NITRATE is then removed by doing regular water changes.

The bacteria does not produce ammonia.

Do a search on google and read up on this as it is absolutely essential fish keeping knowledge.

Ado

heavyd
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 05:22 AM
Thanks Ado,

TBH I have actually read up all about cycling. But, got a little confused :oops: I knew that it was a two-stage process, but, thought that ammonia was the first by-product. Thanks for the clarification!

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 05:43 AM
No probs mate. Happy to be of service..:)

Ado