PDA

View Full Version : Astaxanthin+Spirulina+Cyclop+ProMore+ProGrowth Over the Top?

DIY
Sun Jul 27, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hi all,

After Reading MAC's excellent info on Astaxanthin, I have been putting Naturose in my beefheart mix for a few months now.

I also have read about the benefits of Spirulina so I've been adding that as well.

Now I've bought some ProMore and ProGrowth from Norto and want to add that

And I've also read about Cyclops as an additive (supposed to be high in Astaxanthin, amino acids etc) so I've just ordered some CyclopEeze....

I need to make a new batch of beefheart soon so here's what I will be making

> 1 large oxheart, heavily trimmed of any sinew and fat. Usually ends up ~400 grams worth after trimming
> 500gm frozen raw prawn (no tails and uncooked)
> leaves from 2 large bunches of spinach lightly steamed
> 2 medium carrots steamed
> 2 tablespoons spirulina powder
> teaspoon Naturose astaxanthin
> teaspoon or so of CyclopEeze (if it arrives in time..)
> 1/2 tablespoon ProGrowth
> 1/2 tablespoon ProMore
> 3 or 4 cloves of Garlic
> tablespoon or so of various dry foods crushed including Krill, earthworm flake etc
> 1 Vitamin capsule (I might not bother adding one this time...)

Is that over the top with additives?

Any suggestions for other things to add? I have been using the above mix minus the ProMore, ProGrowth and Cyclops for a while and and the discus love it!

I don't add any fish due to handling difficulties (I'm allergic to the flesh :roll: )

Merrilyn
Sun Jul 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
Looks good to me.

My current recipe is pretty much the same DIY except for the addition of fish fillets.

DIY
Mon Jul 28, 2008, 03:13 AM
Thanks Merrilyn,

I see some overseas enthusiasts sometimes add banana - has anyone tried it?

I'm worried banana might cloud the tank

ILLUSN
Mon Jul 28, 2008, 06:43 AM
Looks good mate, mines the same except i use 2 tsp of pro more and 1 tsp of pro growth/kg. i dont bother adding any extra vitamins i figure with pro more and pro growth theres plenty in there, i also add in peas(1 cup/3kg) and a bit more spinach (250g/3kg of mix) which i assume adds a little more vitamins again.

Posaqua discus delux also has banna and i believe a comercial reptile appitite stimulant (similar to garlic guard) also contains banana, i dont thing it would do any harm, the vegimatter in the carrots and spinach doesn't cause any harm.

atti
Mon Jul 28, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hi,

I have been adding Banana in my beef heart mix for many years now.

I have not observed any issues with the tank becoming cloudy.

DIY
Mon Jul 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the replies,

I'll add a banana to the mix as well!

DIY
Sat Aug 02, 2008, 02:20 AM
Made my new batch last night, I've had some questions about time to make and cost so:

I started just after 8:30pm and finished including clean-up just after 11 so about 2.5 hours.. I did have my lovely better half help (yes she will probably read this :wink: ) so if you do it on your own allow 3 or so hours I think.

For cost - here's a quick spreadsheet I put together. I don't bother with precise measurements... it's all by eye and guesswork so this is approximates :roll: :lol:

The left grams column is the size purchased, and the amount column is the amount I used (approximately)

I ended up using 2 ox hearts this time so the cost works out a bit cheaper than normal I guess.

pink66
Sat Aug 02, 2008, 02:29 AM
thanks DIY... I now know how much time and money.. I see it comes out as a very cost effective, high quality food. I cannot wait to give it a go.. Yum Yum :lol: :lol:

with exception of the health food shop for the spirilina, where do you source the other dry ingredients from ??

pink66
Sat Aug 02, 2008, 02:31 AM
just wondering, if I was growing my own brine shrimp.. Would that be a good additive to the mix???

DIY
Sat Aug 02, 2008, 02:36 AM
I get all the dry foods and powders (Cyclop-Eeze, Pro-More, Naturose etc) from our sponsors :wink: Discus Enterprises (Norto) sells Pro-More and Pro-growth and the rest are available from a couple of sponsors.

I've never tried it - but I think Brine shrimp would be good to add to the mix.