PDA

View Full Version : QLD power strike

Kokoro
Sun Jul 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
According to http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=596606, QLD power workers are due to strike for 48 hours this week.

I will be hoping that we get through this without powercuts, but would like to be prepared just in case. If the power's out for 48 hours, I'm sure there's a chance most of my fish won't make it. Anyone have any advice on what we can do to help keep the fish alive?

At the moment, I think I'd take the tops of the canisters, wrap the tanks in blankets and hope for the best. Might also try heating some water in a bottle and float it in the tanks, though this would be hard to regulate..

Matt15
Sun Jul 13, 2008, 04:27 AM
Normally power is still produced but in limited quantities. Then the power which is supplied is shared between areas of the state which guarantees that you won't be without power for the total 48hr period.

atti
Sun Jul 13, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Kokoro,

I am a Victorian Power worker, yes in one of those C02 producing brown coal power stations.

I do not believe that there will be rolling black outs. Power is also shared between the states, and NSW has good reserves.

I have yet to see, in my 22 years in the industry, total black outs due to industrial action. The government has contingency plans (essential services act) in place to prevent this happening.

So don't worry yet. If you do have power interruptions, I do not believe you will be without power for very long. It is a game the unions play, they will go on strike and reduce the output of the states' generators. Then the price of power goes up and the other states energy suppliers receive increased profits due to the increase in power prices. This will make the Queensland generators suffer and hopefully the unions will get what they want by making their companies suffer.

With a shared energy grid, VIC and NSW will export power to Queensland to make up the reduced output from the Queensland generators.