PDA

View Full Version : G'day all frm Melbourne

lyrical
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 01:24 AM
I just wanted to say hello to you all. And say l'm so glad l found this forum as l'm thinking about discus for my 2 1/2 foot tank (about 120-130 litres or 50 gallons)in my living room its been set up for a couple of weeks now and l've got 6 rummy noses, 10 harlequin , 2 blue rams, 2 orange sucking cat fish and 2 bronze cories, 2 orange bristlenose in the tank. Could l put anymore in this tank besides the discus themselves l was hoping for a few more rummy noses. l love sitting and just watching them school it,s mesmerizing.Ive been slowly turning the temp up every few days trying to get these fish acclimatised to the higher temps. Its currently set at 29c. Is this ok for a discus tank and how many discus could l have in this tank????,,Is there anyone on the forum who is breeding in melbourne as l was told to try and buy locally breed fish suited to Australias water PH rather than buying imported as the PH they come from is different. Ive always wanted discus but never been able to now l can and l want to do everything correctly.

The tank currently has a UGF in it but l'm saving the money to buy a cannister filter.Gosh they are so expensive I'll put a couple of pics below so you can see my tank.Dont worry about the guppies and platies in there l took them out and put them into one of my other tanks

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/Lissau/PlantsSpreadout.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/Lissau/PlantsSpreadout2.jpg
[/img]

waitaki
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 01:52 AM
might be a little small for discus.
It would be alright for juvies; for a while.
Discus are best in groups of 5+ (unless you have a breeding pair)
the tank needs some height as well.
Your tank is looking good though!
Just go get another bigger one cos once you start with discus - you always want more!!

waitaki
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 01:52 AM
oh yeah - and welcome to the forum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the forum lyrical.

You'll love keeping discus.

They're a fish with a real personality.

:P