PDA

View Full Version : Any body used these?

Krumpet
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 01:44 AM
saw this ph/chlorine tester on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Spa-Aquarium-Tank-Pool-Water-Chlorine-tester-PH-Meter_W0QQitemZ160259633517QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6678 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any body used one?

Thanks in advance
Krumpet

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 02:32 AM
Looks like cheap chinese made crap to me........Good quality ph meters are great though..

Ado

Krumpet
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 02:50 AM
yea it does look cheap but for a total price of around 20 dollars, even if it only lasts 6 months i'm happy...

glamgirl
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 05:55 AM
aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh that is a very "throw away" attitude krumpet, our society is too much like this. What ever happened to buying quality equipment to last for years??

Proteus
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 05:57 AM
6 months.... pffffft

6 days or 6 weeks and you will be lucky

:wink:

Phenomena
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 06:29 AM
6 months.... pffffft

6 days or 6 weeks and you will be lucky

:wink:

That's a very harsh allegation. Can you back it up? :roll:
I know a LOT of Chinese products are not quality simply because they use less quality materials to drive the price low. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. However, sometimes that's not the case.

Poor krumpet, he's scared now. Don't tell me that no one here owns/uses Chinese made product? No, I'm not affiliated with any Chinese company. Just giving them a fair go...

Proteus
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
Phenomena...

Did I say anything about the length of use based on it being Chinese made? I DON'T THINK SO...

I have made the statement as I know 2 people who have purchased the same peice of crap, and one failed after a week, the other just under 2 months. I wouldnt waste my time replying if I didnt have a reason to say what I did. In a pool where .2 or .5 of a unit isnt a major issue, then these units may have some merit.

For a little over twice the price you can get a much better product STILL MADE IN CHINA which may last you a lot longer, or, spend some more and get something that will last for years. Albeit factoring in that all products may have an odd one out there that may prove this "general" theory wrong.

waitaki
Fri Jul 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
I've bought cheaper chinese equipment on ebay and to be quite frank - It ain't worth it!! You are best to buy from Australia, where you can take it back and get a replacement. Although a lot of the chinese products you can send back and get a replacement - the time factor has to be taken into account and the postage cost!
My advice; spend a little more money - $50 will get you a good pen that will last much much much much longer and be accurate!

Some products are ok.. it is really up to you!

Krumpet
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 09:29 AM
alrighty then, expensive one it is!!!

can you get reasonably priced multi testers? like ph, tds, temp, stuff like that?

thanks for the advice by the way...
Krumpet

Hollowman
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 09:33 AM
Here is a link to popular electronic testers here in the uk, I am sure you can get these on Oz through a sponsor.

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/DiscusSouth/index.php?cat=Electronic_Test_Meters&ActinicSID=9f5584bf974320153fe6538567900aeb

H

Phenomena
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 09:47 AM
Phenomena...
...I have made the statement as I know 2 people who have purchased the same peice of crap, and one failed after a week, the other just under 2 months. I wouldnt waste my time replying if I didnt have a reason to say what I did. In a pool where .2 or .5 of a unit isnt a major issue, then these units may have some merit....

Aahhh, fair enough then... :)

Phenomena
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 09:54 AM
alrighty then, expensive one it is!!!

can you get reasonably priced multi testers? like ph, tds, temp, stuff like that?

thanks for the advice by the way...
Krumpet

Check this out:
http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=002003
The one I have is HI 98128.

The TDS meter I have is this:
http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/tds4.html

I never had any problem with both. Worth every penny. I bought them from EBAY US about 3-4 years ago. I think they cost me around $70 ex shipping.

HTH...

Proteus
Sat Jul 12, 2008, 10:30 AM
The Hanna product is a great investment to keep on top of various parameters. Well worth the money.