PDA

View Full Version : bare bottom

bob
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:56 PM
hi al
fist time here, I have 6o ga. tank with 6 discus have sump filtration with bio sand filter hangs on back I want to go bare bottom can I just take sand out all at once? should I add spounge filter? Wil this effect my water?
need help thanks Bobl

kalebjarrod
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:35 PM
this must be a planned process, if you take out all the sand at once you will effectivly remove well over half of your current bacteria

try removing a scoop or two every second day till its all gone, check your ammonia levels daily and if they rise stop the gravel removal for a few extra days

this will give your filters a chance to esthablish further bacteria to cope with the removal of the bacteria in the sand.

take your time and you and your fish will be fine, rush and you will have some problems :wink:

jim from sydney
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:41 PM
Bob...... :D welcome aboard :D .......this is a great forum you will enjoy the members' input......great move to go bare bottom, it is excellent for keeping the tank clean.
i agree with Ryan...dont loose those all important bacteria.
cheers....Jim

Trebs
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:05 PM
Spot on Ryan. I've heard of someone removing all his gravel in one of two go's and losing half his discus - not good.

africandiscus
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:23 PM
I removed my gravel over a week and lost alot of fish. Do it over as long as you can

dreamer
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:56 PM
i removed my gravel and plants in one go :o and changed 100% water :shock: . none of my fish were affected ... maybe im just lucky :P ? but then i have 3 filters (eheim 2215, AQ300 and homemade trickler) for my standard 4' tank 8-)

bob
Thu Dec 30, 2004, 05:42 AM
thanks guy think i will go bare really slow and might add sponge filter in the prosses i will let you know how its going. thanks a lot bob
ps any more advice welcome

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 30, 2004, 10:09 PM
heres a trick, leave some sponge (out of your sponge filter) submerged in your sump, there is no need to have it working the the sump - just sitting there is fine, that way when you want to do little things like this you have already seeded the sponge filter 8-)