PDA

View Full Version : A poop question???

waitaki
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 02:38 PM
Ok so there is nothing better than seeing your discus do a nice big black pooh{well there are other things better - for for the sake of this thread}; means they're eating well; but then there is that notorious white pooh we all dread... can you say that regardless of the colour of poop the fish is eating?

I'm nursing a couple in QT at the moment with worms; I don't see them eat; but there is that yucky white poop - can I assume they are nibbling while I'm not watching?? One is a juvie, I'm a little concerned about her.

Hollowman
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 02:47 PM
Can I ask how you are treating the worms? what were the symptoms?

:)

waitaki
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 11:00 PM
Ok Hollowman; symptoms -
white stringy poo, loss of appetite, fish hanging back from the school, colour darkened (that is the blue turq);
the malboro red juvie, loss of appetite and colour, hung around near the top of the tank during the day, hide away from the school at night.

first I treated in QT with levimsole 1 week; 50% w/c left a week; then again with levimsole. 50% w/c - had success fish pooped black again; then treated with prazi 2 days w/c, then again week later, after a week - back in main tank; looked ok for a couple of days but only nibbling at food, blue turq looked very dark in the mornings, fins clamped. Took her to the vet (they wouldn't sell metro without seeing her!) red malboro - not eating still, poo more yellow than stringy at first but now stringy.

Treated with Metro for 5 days (that was 14 days ago), am now treating with levimisole again. Blue tuq looks a little bit perkier this morning, but still has stress bars.

the red m worries me most, I have seen her eat only a few times, in qt, she hasn't grown much since I got her about 10 - 12 weeks ago, both come from lfs, the 3rd I got from LFS is now a big fat pig in the main tank, he looks good!

your help on this would be greatly appreciated Hollowman, thanks

:salute

{oh and I have just read from Andrew Soh book about white poop, it doesn't mean they are eating, it is mucus secretion. }

Hollowman
Wed Jul 09, 2008, 09:00 AM
Seems you have treated for internal parasites, (with both barrels) The trouble with lfs fish is that they are never treated very well, and can be exposed to all sorts of disease. What you have treated with should have taken care of most. I think the white poo you are seeing could be the stomach lining. It can be expelled if irritated, maybe with the treatments you have given it, it is just passing this. Maybe just give it a rest from meds in qt for now, just lots of good water (big changes, daily) for a few days. Try feeding with bloodworms, but vaccum out after an hour if he has not eaten it all.

How is your water? any nasties showing ?

H

waitaki
Wed Jul 09, 2008, 12:17 PM
thanks hollowman - good sound advice.
water parametres are good
ammonia = 0
nitrates = 0 (due to regular w/c)
nitrites = 0
ph = 6.8
temp 30
I have added vitamin sups to the water as well and some salt, should I drop that?
regards
Janice

Hollowman
Wed Jul 09, 2008, 02:42 PM
The vit subs I am not sure about, are we talking melafix or something like that? If so, I have mixed opinions, some people swear by it, some like myself have never seen the benefit, so up to you.
If you are just putting in a little salt, I would stop. Just nice fresh clean water for now. See how it goes.

waitaki
Wed Jul 09, 2008, 10:34 PM
Not melafix - Sera Fishtamin
I'll take your advice and just add water :)