PDA

View Full Version : No Poos

TW
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:07 AM
I seem to be always thinking about or assessing discus poos latley :shock:

Anyway, in my bare bottom QT, I have 3 discus who are all eating like pigs, but I have barely seen any poos at all in the tank for the last few days.

Seems odd.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:57 AM
Don't worry too much.

If they're eating well, then they've got to be pooing, even if you don't see much, it's possibly breaking up and being sucked up by the filter.

If they're eating beefheart, then there won't be much waste. Give them a feed of frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworm, and you'll see some droppings for sure :P

Hollowman
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:57 AM
I dont think many discus re-eat poo, although they do peck at it now and again.
Maybe give them a dose of epsom salts to see if they have blockages, funny though that all 3 are not passing.

H

TW
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the advice Merrilyn & Hollowman.
Give them a feed of frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworm, and you'll see some droppings for sure You were right. I gave a late night feed of spirunlina brine shrimp & before I went to bed, I vac'd up a few big meaty poos.

Why is this? No poos for days after feeding exclusively on home made beef heart. Then poos after the brine shrimp. I don't get how that works :?

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:54 AM
Brineshrimp are rich in fibres, these help the discus pass stools, next time you make up your beefheart mix put a little extra peas or boiled spinich in it to stop them getting constipated (i like to use around 20% by weight of veggi matter in my mix).

TW
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the info. My mix does have peas (Merrilyn's sticky recipe) but next time I will add extra as well as the spinnach.

Do you either cook fully, steam or include the spinnach raw?

Thanks again

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 04:21 AM
i boil the spinich for around 2 minutes and then blend it into a paste. i add 1 full cup of chopped spinich to Merrilyns mix in addition to the carrots and peas ( i doubled the ammount of peas as well).

TW
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks, I'll do the same in my next batch.