PDA

View Full Version : Bloated Discus, Cloudy white Faeces - Help Please Someone !!

marg
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 07:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the Forum for quite some time due to work commitments.

I have a problem and am hoping someone can help me.

One of my Discus has been off colour lately - not eating and hiding away at the back of the tank ( he is usually the biggest greedy guts).

Today I noticed that he is passing a white cloudy jelly like substance. I am in the process of setting up a hospital tank for him (20 Litres) and was thinking of treating him with some Epsom Salts to clear his gut, followed by some metro ( I have some 200mg. tabs on hand).

Couls someone give me some advice as to the correct process and dosages for a 20 litre tank?

I would hate to lose him as he is one of my favourite Discus,

Looking forward to your advice,

Marg.

DIY
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hi Marg,

I think skip the epsom salts and go straight to the metro, standard dosage for 20 litres would be 500mg or 2 and 1/2 of your 200mg tablets. w/c after 48 hours and redose. It's more effective in food but since he's not eating it will have to be in the water.

You will have to crush the tablets as fine as you can, mortle and pestle is good. I have used a small amount of vinegar added to a glass of tankwater to help dissolve before adding to the tank before or you can just add it to the tank and give it a gentle swish..

Turn of the lights, even dim the room lights if you can as it metro degrades when exposed to light. If you have a UV turn it off as well and remove any carbon if you use it in the filter.

good luck

marg
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:05 AM
Thankyou DIY, I will start treatment with Metro immedietly. Just don't want to lose him, I have had him for so long !..regards,

Marg.

Hollowman
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:26 AM
Good advice, fingers crossed Marg

H

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:49 AM
Oh Marg, so sorry to hear about your fish.

I agree absolutely with the advice already given.

We've missed you on the forum.

Hope your fish recovers quickly. I know what good care you take of your discus.

:wave

DIY
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Marg,

How is he doing - looking any better at all?

marg
Sat Jul 05, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hi DIY,

He is looking no worse - tummy still swollen and not eating, but when I move the cover from the tank he seems a bit more livelier - prior to starting the treatment he was just hanging at the back of the tank - still passing globs of cloudy jelly-like substance though ( I guess its' better out than in !!).

I changed the water last night and redosed the tank and am hoping that eventually the metro will take effect.

He used to be the meanest Fish in the tank as a Juvenille then he seemed to grow up and calm down - I have had him about 4 years and am pretty attached to him so I hope all of this works.

Thanks for your concern everyone. Fingers crossed.

Marg.

marg
Sun Jul 13, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

Just thought I would let you all know that my boy has recovered.

He had me feeling really miserable for a while and i didn't think he would survive but thanks to the Metro treatment and plenty of TLC he is back to his happy healthy self!!.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I am so happy !!!

Marg.

Hollowman
Sun Jul 13, 2008, 09:31 AM
Great news Marg :)