PDA

View Full Version : Simease algae eater troubles

moldyform
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 03:46 AM
I brought a SAE a few weeks ago and it seems to spen 90% of its time behind a lage rock in my tank. Are they normally a timid fish?

Also what will they eat if my hair algae supply is getting low??

Cheers

cityguy
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:23 AM
The Siamese Algae Eater is generally considered to be the best all-around algae eater available

A relatively peaceful fish, especially when young, it can become agressive to its own species as it ages, and its quick, darting movements can stress out some more sensitive fish, such as dwarf cichlids or discus. Its common for the SAE to hide, as you say in your post.

A very hardy fish, it is easy to keep and feed, eating both algae and just about anything else put into the tank, such as flake food, pellets, live foods, parboiled vegetables, etc. It does a diligent job of removing algae from plants without harming them, as well as from decorations and aquarium glass.

carnival
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 10:45 PM
I put 2 small SAE in my Discus tank about 8 weeks ago and hardly saw them for a month, they just hid behind rocks and plants, but I did notice the hair algae was disappearing slowly but surely, now 2 months down the track they are active and happy dashing around the tank and the pair of Discus hardly give them a second look. Now that the algae is under control they eat just about anything that I feed the Discus. but are still constantly cleaning my Anubias and Crypts. I have only had one SAE that caused problems nipping the fins of the Discus.

zar
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 11:20 PM
i think sae's are way overrated for their hair algae eating.
I recently talked to a guy from a lfs, telling him that i had one , who never touched hair algae. he said they eat algae best in schools and if they're not fed other foods :), maybe it does work better when they're in a school.
i ended up cutting off the badly affected leaves and decreasing the light.

moldyform
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yep hes out and about a bit more these days.

cheers guys