PDA

View Full Version : do i have a male and female? pics included

byrnsy
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 03:24 AM
hi all, i bought a so called pair off a breeder about 6 months ago and am yet to see any spawn or them even acknowlege eachother. I do realise that a pair can spawn in one tank and not the other but to be on opposite sides of the tank all the time is another. My question is do i have a male and female according to the pics i took today

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/byrnsy6/DSC01014.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/byrnsy6/DSC01016.jpg

Mick[/img]

DIY
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 03:42 AM
I have to say - Great photo's :thumb

Even with the great pic's it's very difficult to tell when the breeding tubes are not extended. I can pick out some differences, the bottom opening looks to me to be a bit more oval, the tube possibly a little smaller and the opening also appears to be further from the bottom fin. If I had to guess then I think yes, you have two different genders there.

DISCLAIMER: I really have no idea :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be interesting to hear others opinions

MFG
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:02 AM
any pics not from below but from the side, with protruding breeding tubes?

i have 3 pairs breeding in my main tank and have the chance to observe their breeding tubes.

generally, female will have a wider tube than the male.

regards
Scott

byrnsy
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:09 AM
will try get some side ones then :D

Merrilyn
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:37 AM
Going by the photos of the vent, I would say you have a male and female.

If you have a known male in one of your other tanks, try putting it in with the pair, but be prepared to rescue it quickly if things become too rough.

A male intruder in their territory should be driven off by both male and female. Having driven off the intruder (because you removed him) the pair should decide their territory is suitable for raising a family.

It goes without saying that daily waterchanges and high protein foods are essential.

byrnsy
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:42 AM
i might try that method than thanks merrilyn :D

Mick

cityguy
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 08:27 AM
Try the below link, it is one of the finest and closest to confirmation process that I have come across about distinguishing between a male and female adult discus.. :P

http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/sexingdiscus.shtml

Matt15
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 01:48 PM
Mick I purchased two Albino Melon Intermediates a few months back
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16207
and used the exact same method, looking at there breeding tubes to tell the sex.

About a week later once they had settled in and put in the com tank, I confirmed them to BOTH be females...:( I was guttered...lol

It's certainly a good method to try but its failed me. GL with yours mate.

byrnsy
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:22 PM
cheers cityguy, have looked at the fins according to the diagram but the both look like they intersect the tail. I could be wrong but....

Hey Matt i spose one good thing was they both were laying eggs atleast lol. Im yet to even see an interest in either with cleaning a surface. But i will persist with them and see what happens.

Thanks everyone

Mick

MFG
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 01:16 AM
Let's assume that you have a male and female.

I actually shift 1 of my 3 pairs to a breeding tank. they breed like almost every other week in my dispay tank. but when they are moved to a new empty environment, they kind of stop breeding (2-3 weeks in the new tank). the stress bar of my turq appear rather dark.

i think there is still some element of stress that my fish is facing in the breeding tank. i house them with 3 bristlenoses.

tried lots of way for them to breed but nothing happen til now. any suggestions anyone?

regards
MFG

Matt15
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hey Matt i spose one good thing was they both were laying eggs atleast lol.
Very true mate... very true.

tried lots of way for them to breed but nothing happen til now. any suggestions anyone?

Obvisouly the different environments will be a key factor but how different are the water conditions between the two tanks?