PDA

View Full Version : pH problem

byrnsy
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi all, ive only had a problem with my pH recently. Our tap water here in morwell is thought to be around 7.2 and would normally be quite stable (prob the last 6-7months) once in the tank if i was to drop it to 6.8. Lately it has been sitting at 6.3 and have been doing large water changes in both my tanks everyday, taken out all the wood (which i added to lower it from town water) and constantly clean my cannisters in the hope of raising the pH and im still struggling to raise it to 6.8. I have increased the amount of air in the tasnk to try and use a carbon dioxide reaction which i understand can help raise pH but still no luck. Ive come to the conclusion that our town water pH has dropped. Im just wondering if there are any natural buffers i can use like crushed coral for africans etc etc out there that will get my pH up to 6.8-7.0. I have the pH up chemicals but would rather use natural means rather than chemical in my tanks.

Mick

DIY
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 01:34 PM
If this is a discus tank, then I would suggest it's better at the lower pH anyway.

the simplest way to raise the pH is to add sodium bicarbonate, this will raise the KH and consequently raise the pH along with it. It's safe to use and cheap as well, most supermarkets carry it in the baking section. Carbonates are found naturally in a lot of things, crushed coral is just another form of carbonate (calcium carbonate from memory)

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
crushed coral will safely buffer your ph and prevent crashes, 1 tsp/100L will be plenty, i agreee with DIY junkie though a lower ph is much better for discus.

byrnsy
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
ah yeah thanks guys no worries. Just strange how the water out of the tap can change in pH so dramatically. I have put 2 diff digital readers on the water and both show the same readings. So would you say a pH of 6.3 is better than 6.8 for discus if i was trying to breed them?

Mick

DIY
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 10:48 PM
Yep for sure