PDA

View Full Version : Sera Nitrivec Bio Cultures

vanessa messig
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hello,
Does anyone use or have used Sera Nitrivec Bio Cultures after water changes?
I noticed it is not as clear as other brands on the market and am wondering if it has gone off or if it is meant to be a little murky.

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks
:?:

waitaki
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 01:25 PM
mines clear, maybe you should take it back to where you bought it and ask for a replacement

vanessa messig
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks waitaki,

It says on the bottle that it has a smell specific to the product, does yours have some type of smell because mine has no smell at all.

waitaki
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
no smell in mine

vanessa messig
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks Waitaki, I think I will be taking it back!

Are you happy with product?

waitaki
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 12:12 AM
It is one of the better products, but it doesn't work like good ole home cooked aged cultures. I don't use it that often. I have heard there is another product called bio- something??? Bio - spira, it is available in frozen form, I hear that is really good; but haven't been able to get it. Although with all the gravel vaccing and water changes my tanks get, there is no need for it all.
Why do you use it?

vanessa messig
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 05:00 AM
I have never used sera nitrivec before but LFS told me that it was a better produce when I asked for 'Cycle' which I add everytime I gravel vac. (twice a week) to replenish beneficial bacteria... perhaps I am being too pedantic, do you think?

waitaki
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 06:07 AM
If your tank is cycled properly now, you proberly don't need to, alot of the good bacteria is in the filter. It doesn't hurt to use it but maybe once every couple of weeks.

Hopefully someone else with more experience than me could add whether they use it or not and how often.

vanessa messig
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks Waitaki,
You are right! I probably clean the filters too harshly as well. I will see how it goes without the additive.
Thank you so much for your help :)

AHC
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hey venessa,

I have used both the cycle and sera nitrivec over the years. I personally think that the sera product is better but they are both good. Waitaki is right - if your tank is established then you dont have to use it all the time.

If you are increasing the tanks bioload then you can use it to boost the bacteria. I also use it after i treat with meds, just to be on the safe side. Apart from that your filter and tank if really established should be functioning on its own bacteria. They say to use it during every water change. i dont think its necessary but it doesnt hurt even to do it every now and then. Better off using it when you need to.

HTH :)

Hollowman
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:15 AM
I would say that having a mature filter system there is no need to add anything at all, period.

jmo

Hollowman

vanessa messig
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Aaron and Hollowman,
I will see how it goes without it. At the moment I am treating the tank with Melafix as the smaller discus was nipped on its side by one of the domineering discus.

Also, just as a matter of interest, I had a look at Sera Nitrivec under the microscope and found lots of tiny micro life swimming on the surface. My microscope is not very powerful so I could not recognize what it could be. Could this be something to worry about?

waitaki
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 10:28 PM
that is probably the bacteria the product refers to, Bio - culture :wink:
thats good.

vanessa messig
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 01:05 PM
I hope so, thats what I thought at first but I think the Bio-culture may look different, my microscope is not strong enough to pick up enough information. I can only see the shape and the swimming movement. I also found a tiny white worm.

If anyone has some knowledge about what Bio Cultures look like I would really like to know.