PDA

View Full Version : Microscope?

DIY
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 01:46 AM
I'm thinking of getting a microscope, there is some good articles on DPH including pictures of things like gill fulkes etc.

Any advice on what sort of microscope, where I can get one and what sort of $$ I need to spend to get one?

DIY
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 01:48 AM
Forgot to add - would this be ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250263285184&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
in all honesty mate you'll get more use out of a disecting scope than a monocular like that, i sit at a 12.5x100x scope all day ($19000 wholesale) and its useless for analysing fish bits, still with a 7x40x combination it might be ok.

as far as $$$ go I'd budget atleast $300 for a usefull disecting scope, but you'd really appreciate a $500 model.

DIY
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
So 12.5x 100x = 12500 magnification right? is it no good for fish bits because it's too much magnification?

what's the main difference with a disecting scope? (sorry I'm a total microscope noob :oops: )

DIY
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 03:36 AM
After some reading on Dissecting scopes I think I've answered my own question, they are typically in the area of 25x and 40x mag. From what i can tell they are also often stereo scopes so are probably easier on the eye I guess.

My reason for thinking of a scope is to "attempt" positive ID of the common parasistes like flukes etc which are well documented with pictures to assist in ID. I'm certainly not looking to ID new strains or in fact anything that is not well documented.

This will "hopefully" increase the chances of correct med usage. I'm sure I've lost more discus to incorrect med usage than to the problem itself :oops:

In the years I've been keeping discus, I have probably had the sitution where I would attempt a positive ID on a scope only a handful of times, I really don't expect to be using it often. In fact would prefer if I never need to use one but I hope it could be a valuable tool for those times.

Reading up on the common parasites and ID'ing by microscope the most used magnification is between 100x and 400x

unless there's some other reason for it being no good? - I think I'll put a bid on the scope I linked earlier, especially if it's going for a good price as it would seem to fit withing those paramaters and it's not going to break the bank for very occasional usage, I can always put it back on evilbay and buy something better once I've learned more by trying to use it..

seecuta
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 06:08 AM
Hi DIYjunkie,

In my personal experience, you definately dont need a stereo scope. The normal optical ones work perfectly fine and suffice for the job at hand.

The magnification power you'd need for 99% of the time is 100x. The eye piece containing 10x and the latter 10x, thus, 100x final magnification. Flukes, tetrahymena etc etc, are very large parasites and these are easily seen at 100x. Small parasites such as costia might require 400x mag (10x from the eye piece, and 40x from the latter) but if you know what you are looking for you can id costia at 100x.

So in my opinion, a standard scope, any, which can do 100x mag will do. Most toy microscopes in kids science kits, purchased from Big W will do 100x.

Another feature of a scope which I will say is a definate must have is a "mechanical stage". The scope from the link you posted doesnt seem to have one, and therefore i cant suggest you bid on it.

The mechanical stage allows you to move around the slide to find your parasite.

HTH,
seecuta

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 06:14 AM
get a decent light source for it, a sinple mirror will need atleast a 100w lamp to give youe enough light to see through gill tissue.

DIY
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks seecuta for that

The description of the linked one says "The stage moves in all directions by thumb wheels" I assume that means it is a mechanical stage?

DIY
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 06:17 AM
get a decent light source for it, a sinple mirror will need atleast a 100w lamp to give youe enough light to see through gill tissue.

Thanks ILLUSN, good to know

seecuta
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 06:24 AM
On second observations, I think you might be right.