PDA

View Full Version : Discus pair ate the fry

waitaki
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:44 AM
Damn - I have been getting very excited about the Stendker Red Turq pair I have, they spawned, there were wrigglers, then I noticed yesterday a couple of free swimmers, I had to climb above the tank to look down and see what was happening, as they laid in the corner were I couldn't see. Then last night I accidently dropped the lid into the tank and this morning there was no sign of bubbies :oops: :oops: Hopefully next time :? :?

waitaki
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
aargghh, no wait, I have just noticed 1 swimming on the mamma, hopefully there are more on the otherside of her 8-) 8-) 8-)

Hollowman
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:05 AM
They do have the nack of moving fry and hiding them where you cannot see them, maybe the shock of the lid falling in made them do this. Then, sometimes they will just eat the lot if they are not happy, or there are not enough left to be a viable batch.

Hollowman

waitaki
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yeap, looks like you are right Hollowman - there are a little fry all over the tank at the moment: - hope they find their way back to ma and pa :o

Hollowman
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 12:02 PM
If they are in a breeder tank on their own, lower the water to just above the dorsal fin of the biggest fish. This will give the fry a better chance of running into the parents so they can start feeding off them.

hth

H :)

waitaki
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 12:28 PM
thanks will do that! Will I keep up water changes??

Hollowman
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:44 PM
yes, you can lower the water more to w/c no problem

waitaki
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:14 PM
ok lowered the water, some of them have found the parents, thanks for the tip :) the others are just having a look around the tank, I have left the lamp on for them. There are only about 15 - 20 left. Hopefully they'll survive.
Thanks again Hollowman

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 07:18 AM
If you only have 20 or so left and they are detached from the parents I always found Liquifry really helpful. If you're not aware of it it's a commercial liquid fry food that's available in most LFS that I've been to. Feeding them a few times a day for a couple of days makes them that much stronger and helps them get back to Mum and Dad. When you get left with the number you're talking about you also need to keep as many alive as possible for the sake of the rest, if the number gets too low their instincts can tell them to eat the lot.
Cheers
MAC

waitaki
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:27 AM
thanks for that MAC, there are only about 6 left now, they are feeding off the parents ok; but I don't know how long they are going last, fingers crossed they'll survive very tired parents. They are a week old now and have grown double in size; but whether the parents thinks it's worth it or not???

Hollowman
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 08:34 AM
Now they are attached you 'have raised' the water level now, right? :)

Make sure that any water changes now, the temp and water parameters are as close as you can get it.

H

waitaki
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:08 AM
yeap, doing that hallowman, thanks for the advice.
Lost one of the fry got stuck behind the filter; but the other 5 are doing well, not moving far from the parents at all

mischa
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 06:05 AM
Hi Waitaki
That is great news. The parents sound beautiful, I hope there is something to be said for genetics (-: Good luck raising the remaining 5. A pair of mine (a turq and snakeskin) have laid eggs for the first time. Sadly, the eggs only lasted for an hour before they ate them. I have my fingers crossed for future spawns and improved parenting skills.

Please keep us posted
Erica (-:

waitaki
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 10:53 PM
oh no; the remaining fry died overnight :cry: :cry: :cry:
poor little bubs; I think it might have something to do with the ph; my pen has gone crazy! Damn it is so essential to get the water parametres right. I counted to number of drops to the aged water :(
How disappointing; they were getting checky and swimming around my hand when doing water changes...

Next time

Hollowman
Mon Jul 07, 2008, 07:21 AM
Sorry to hear that Waitiki :(

There will be more :wink:

Hollowman