PDA

View Full Version : WTB young discus adelaide

tank guy
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 01:09 PM
G'day
looking for any discus breeders in Adelaide who are willing to sell some young fish. Ihave just set up a tank and i would like to have 5-6 discus in it. not to fussed on colour types, just want healthy fish from people who know what their doing.
any replies will be greatly appricated.
thanks luke. :)

Nitecongt
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:00 AM
yeah bro check out a fish shop on brighton rd. head up from the bay and u turn before the road sweeps up and to the left. and they are next to a little IGA.

the shop is on the beach side of brighton rd. before the turn off to marino rocks

they have a few breading pairs and are very experianced with discus.

tiktaalik
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:34 AM
Yep, good discus there - I think it's called Rainbow Aquariums.

scuba123cliff
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:44 AM
Rainbow is no longer trading closed last week .

Cliff

reddevil01
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
Try clearwater aquariums down in enfield plaza next to harvey norman they are getting a shipment in tonight so they will have them available tommorow

tank guy
Wed Jun 25, 2008, 11:18 PM
thanks to you all. ill check out clear water aquarium, pitty about rainbow. :D

yakfisho
Thu Jun 26, 2008, 05:14 PM
If it's true about Rainbow that's a bit of a bummer. I drove past the other day and saw some of their racks being taken away so it adds up. I feel it was a long time coming though, not that they deserved to go under. Rodney was a real champ.

Tank Guy, a quick tip. Have a bit of a browse before making a purchase if you can. Though I feel the overall quality of fish in Adelaide is fairly poor I've found big differences in quality and price between different stores. That's something Rodney was great for, I got 4 of my discus from him at over 40% off. Now I guess I know why.

Scotty Bils
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 10:17 AM
Yep Rainbow is gone. Picked up some bargains there in there last few weeks.

They were the best for Discus in SA I found. Bought 4 from there.

mrs madmatt
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:20 PM
yes folks its true :cry:
pitty to see them go i to held rod and phil in high reguard both great blokes
and always had great fish it was probly us you seen loading my van we brought the two banks of tanks that they had the discus in.
it is gona be very hard finding good discus in sa now
cheers for now
matt and lee

reddevil01
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
has anybody been to clearwater to check there discus they have some nice specimens in there.

tank guy
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
went in to clear water to day, had a few discus in the shop. i bought three, one ocean green the others are fire works(?). nice little fish, just fed them some blood worms , they seem to be happy and healthy. :D

SAdiscus
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:15 PM
Wow, A little shocked. Rodney at Rainbow was always very nice and offered his time and expertise very freely. I only went there a handful of times but bought my first discus from there nearly 2 years ago. They have developed into lovely fish and I am saddened at their closure.

As for Clearview, they are my local and have shipments of discus arrive on mondaynights. They are closed tuesdays so best to head their on a wednesday. They import most of their discus direct and Ken is always very obliging and willing to drop a few bucks off advertised price when asked and more often than not when not asked.

Try him out!

Regards,

Clinton

SAdiscus
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
Wow, A little shocked. Rodney at Rainbow was always very nice and offered his time and expertise very freely. I only went there a handful of times but bought my first discus from there nearly 2 years ago. They have developed into lovely fish and I am saddened at their closure.

As for Clearview, they are my local and have shipments of discus arrive on mondaynights. They are closed tuesdays so best to head their on a wednesday. They import most of their discus direct and Ken is always very obliging and willing to drop a few bucks off advertised price when asked and more often than not when not asked.

Try him out!

Regards,

Clinton

chris
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the tip Clinton, I was going to head in there today, just as well being a Tuesday and I live around the corner from Rainbows :( :(

Ive been into Clearview twice, the first time I thought they had the best quaility and range Ive ever seen at a shop. Good pricing too.

chris
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the tip Clinton, I was going to head in there today, just as well being a Tuesday and I live around the corner from Rainbows :( :(

Ive been into Clearview twice, the first time I thought they had the best quaility and range Ive ever seen at a shop. Good pricing too.

tiktaalik
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 07:27 AM
Yes, bummer that Rainbow went under.

I agree Clearview have good fish (and prices) in general and another FS with very good discus sometimes is Arndale Aquarium on Torrens Rd (opposite the big shopping centre).

But... isn't anyone local breeding & selling on a regular basis any more??

yakfisho
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:50 PM
But... isn't anyone local breeding & selling on a regular basis any more??

I'm getting back into it, slowly. I should have a rack dedicated to discus cranking in the next six months. Africans are the way of the future though, I just have a soft spot for these crazy fish.

scuba123cliff
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hi guys just to let you know i have bought Bar A Mal Fish a fish import and wholesale place and will be importing discus a few times a year.We have just got in some blue dimonds,AA grade leopard s/skins and red spots in so you need to ask in your local shops to enquire about them.

scuba123cliff

tiktaalik
Mon Jul 07, 2008, 03:58 AM
Good luck with your new venture Cliff.
Any chance of you importing wilds?

gypsy3
Mon Jul 07, 2008, 05:25 AM
just a question here - given that there is such a demand for wild discus on here,( and everywhere else for that matter) why can't one of the importers like scuba take prepaid deposits from people and import wilds? Surely the demand would make it a worthwhile financial proposition and there must be a way that the wholesaler can send the fish direct to customers on the odd occasion.

reddevil01
Mon Jul 07, 2008, 07:19 AM
it would be nice but i think if the wholesalers were to sell to public even on the odd occasion they would be burning there bridges with all the lfs they supply as the lfs are really the ones who keep these guys in buisness.

yakfisho
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 06:35 AM
it would be nice but i think if the wholesalers were to sell to public even on the odd occasion they would be burning there bridges with all the lfs they supply as the lfs are really the ones who keep these guys in buisness.

Spot on.

fishbowl
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 03:26 AM
Hi ,
a new shipment of fish will be arriving shortly at
The Fish Bowl & Ponds

off the top, blue diamonds, turqs, red melons and a few more

SAdiscus
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 12:46 PM
Never heard of you guys. where are u situated?

reddevil01
Wed Jul 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone just to let everyone know there will a new shipment of discus arriving on the 24th of this month to clearwater aquariums with some of the following strains
yellow whites
blue diamonds
classic goldens
checkerboard pigeons
gold melons
a grade leopards
super red melons
eruptions
checker board turks
talking to ken down there today and he had advised me of this shipment.

TimboS
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:30 AM
So Luke, did you get some fish at the end of all this or still looking?

tank guy
Sun Sep 07, 2008, 10:38 AM
TimboS
yes i have now populated my aquarium with 5 discus. They are eating well and growing at a good rate.
hope to have some images of them on the forum in the near future. :D

sleakone
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 03:08 AM
can give you phone number of a breeder that has some baby blue turquoise for sale at 30 dollars each pm or email me if you like
cheers paul r

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 01:40 PM
The Fish Bowl & Ponds are on Shepherds Hill Rd, Bellevue Heights I think (above Flinders Uni).

I've been getting other fish from them since they opened, never had a problem - great quarantining. They've only just started focussing on discus.