PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia spike after Levamisole BIG L treatment

Jaboe
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 03:13 AM
Not sure if anyone has experienced any issues after treating with "Levamisole BIG L" I have used the corret dosage 1ml per 7L and done a 60% water change after 24 hours.
The next day ammonia readings went up to 0.1, looks like it has killed off some of my filter bacteria, and it's going through a mini cycle.
Below is my setup.. I have 12 Discus about 8-12 cm in a 5x1.5x2 ft tank.
2x Siamese Flying Fox,5 Tetras
4 Filters
1x Eheim 2217
3x Eheim 2213

DIY
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 08:07 AM
I have had an ammonia spike in my tank which is finally recovering, have had to do daily waterchanges of 200+ litres to keep the ammonia levels under control :banghead

I had treated with BIG-L in my B/H mix as a worming treatment, but I'm not sure that's what caused it.. in fact it seems doubtful at the low concentrations used in the food.

I had also put in some freshly re-generated bags of purigen that "may" have had some leftover bleach/chlorine residue although I also doubt that as I am very careful and use more than the recommended dose of de-chlorinator after re-generating and leave it for longer than recommended as well.

I really can't be sure what knocked my filter back, but your post did make me think :ug

Jaboe
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:49 AM
Yes I am currently doing daily waterchanges of 200+ litres to keep the ammonia levels under control, have just lost my 2x Siamese Flying Fox but the Discus appear to be okay.
Treating with BIG-L in my B/H mix as a worming treatment should not have should not have knocked your filter back, may be cut back on the feeding for a couple days until your filter catches up

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 10:17 AM
big L has never effected my filters, when you did a water change did you use heated dechlorinated water, or just tap water?

Jaboe
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:44 AM
I used heated dechlorinated water and changed 60% after 24 hours. Not sure what went wrong, there is plenty of filter media with 4 filters. The tank has been running for more than 3 months.

Hollowman
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 12:29 PM
How did you cycle the tank? 3 months is still young for a new filter to handle several large fish. Can lead to ammonia spikes causing burnt fins.

Hollowman

Jaboe
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 12:38 PM
I had a 4ft tank with 3x Eheim 2213 filters running for about 8 months, then I upgraded to a 5x1.5x2 ft thank and added the 4th Eheim 2217 filter which has been running for 3 months, it did not actually cycle as the 3 old filters from my old thank were seeded

Hollowman
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
I had a 4ft tank with 3x Eheim 2213 filters running for about 8 months, then I upgraded to a 5x1.5x2 ft thank and added the 4th Eheim 2217 filter which has been running for 3 months, it did not actually cycle as the 3 old filters from my old thank were seeded

Ok, just trying to eleiminate things :)

Jaboe
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hollowman

Do you think the Eheim 2217 has not matured hence causing the ammonia spike, I have bought an Eheim 2208 to replace the 3 x Ehiem 2213's.
Not sure how to cycle the new filter ? Should I leave it in with the other filters to seed ? When can I remove the other 3 Eheim 2213 filters.

Sorry I'm very new with fish keeping, your comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Hollowman
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
I would think the best way to mature the new filter is to take some sponge media out of your other ones, so they all have the same amount and try that. Just a thought. :)

Jaboe
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:43 PM
I would think the best way to mature the new filter is to take some sponge media out of your other ones, so they all have the same amount and try that. Just a thought. :)

Thanks mate I will try that :D