PDA

View Full Version : filter in 2' tank

cleo
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hi I just would like to know what sort of filter would be best to put in to a 2' tank that I am thinking of putting a pair of discus in.
Many thanks must go to this site and the info that some of you guys provide. Nearly 12 months ago I got my first discus they went along okay and then gradually they all died. I tried a second time and same thing happened. I then enquired about cleaning the tank and Merrilyn advised to use bleach filter for a while and start all over again. With a 6x2x2 this took a little bit of doing and the LFS thought I was crazy. I now have 16 beautiful discus in my tank. I have lost about 3 in about 8 months but I think this is more survival of the fitest.
I now have one pair laying eggs and on Friday discovered some wrigglers but they have since been eaten. I thought I might try these two in a bare 2' tank and see what happens. The filter I have is not suitable and I thought someone out there may be able to advise waht to use.
Thanks in advance cleo

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
Cleo, I only ever use an air driven sponge filter in my breeding tanks.

Get it running in your main tank for at least two weeks to seed it, then move it and your pair into the breeding tank, along with a cone or PVC for them to use as a spawning surface, and you're set to go.

Good luck.

:P

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
if your sponge is dark make sure you wrap it in white filter wool so it doesn't attract fry.