PDA

View Full Version : Next question - lighting

as
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hi again,

now that I have most pieces together, I need to finalise the lighting.

So far I have -

900 x 380 x 380 tank (close enough)
An older Via Aqua 230 filter
Eco complete substrate on the way
Constructing DIY CO2
Will be probably be mediumish planted

I hope this is going to be adequate, especially the filter. I know it is an older one but it will have to do for a little bit longer.

Now to my question, I am looking at a 4 tube T5 hood, and then probably running 2 x Gro-lux bulbs, 1x Aqua Star and then one at the front, a more blue one I believe, to highlight the fish.

Does this sound like a reasonable arrangement? If there is a better one I would love to hear it!

Thanks again

as
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 11:53 AM
woops, maybe this should have been in the equipment section!

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 12:33 PM
2 3 foot t5's as a minimum 3 would be IDEAL

rwel4809
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 12:33 PM
Depending on what plants you want to keep you'll need about 2 watts per gallon..

I calculate that your tank will be about 30 gallons (if your measurements are in mm). This is quite small for a discus tank as they need at least 10 gallons per fish and they like to live in groups of 4 or more.

Each 90 cm T5 is 36 watts so four would be plenty for a high light planted tank at this size. You will also need to add C02 and other fertilisers with this much light or you'll have terrible algae problems..

You could get away with 2 x 36 watt T5's and keep loads of good discus plants such as crypts, swords, hygro, lotus.

However, if you want a decent carpet of HC or chain swords you'll need between 3-4 WPG so 4 x 36 watt T5's would be good in this case.

I seriously recommend that you consider getting a bigger tank before going into discus - at least 50 gallons.

Also, someone once gave me very sensible advice (which I ignored) that it is best to start with discus in a barebottom tank until you get your skills up as they are easier to keep this way. I wish I had listened - learning to keep a large planted tank, and discus at the same time was a baptism by fire!!

Don't let me put you off though - I do love my planted discus tank, but it's alot of work and there's lots to learn before you get started.

HTH

Robert

as
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys, and I definitely would have a bigger tank if at all possible and have explored every avenue to try to fit one in!

But being stuck with what I have I am going to try to make the best of it. So after the advice I am going with 2 T5 's and will have the tank mostly consisting of crypts, swords and a bit of val, and maybe a couple of other things.

This appears to be a reasonable setup from the advice so far. And the sponsors have also been very helpful with their advice when I have been ordering from them.

It has been a long time since I have kept discus, and I see that this is not going to be easy, but I do welcome the challenge as the benefits are well worth it. With the great people here who are willing to help readily it does give me the confidence to once again give this a go.

Thank you all, and as the gear begins to arrive next week I will post some pics, and hope that this all comes together as I envision!

rwel4809
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 12:07 AM
I just realised that I made a mistake. 3' T5's are 39 watts not 36...

Look forward to seeing it all come together.

best of luck

:)

Robert