PDA

View Full Version : Bateria in filter

Zephaniah
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:25 PM
I know bacteria live primarily in filters and not really in the water column.

My question is what happens when you replace the filters like the manufacter suggests (every month or for the back hanging filters).

Also does vacuuming the gravel every day get rid of a significant amount of bacteria?

Zephaniah
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:28 PM
Don't know if that is an explaination for really weird water readings I get.

Ammonia and nitrates keep going up until I do mass water change and I never see any nitrites.

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 11:45 PM
if you remove and replace the filter media you will remove the bacteria.

your getting those readings because your filter isn't cycled, you have NO bacteria in your filter.

If your in sydney send me a Pm I'll give you some established media which you'll have to replace 1/2 of every 2 or so years only.

Zephaniah
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 11:57 PM
So following the manufacturer's instructions on filter changing schedule is bad. I kinda figured that.

What I don't understand is why I am getting nitrate readings if I have NO bacteria.

It's like I have a lot of the kind of bacteria (aerobic?)to convert nitrites to nitrates but not enough of the kind (anaerobic?) to convert ammonia to nitrite. Is that even possible?

Thanks for the on the media, but I'm in the states. NYC to be exact.

Zephaniah
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 12:03 AM
Oh and I didn't replace the filter in the tank I am getting weird water readings. That tank has been running for about 4 months so the filter in that should have bacteria in it.

The filter changing question was just for my knowledge.

Any answer on vacuuming the gravel? Does a significant amount of bacteria live in there?

zar
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 01:05 AM
I recently read in an aquarium magazine that bacteria that grow on gravel have a protective coating and do net get removed in any significant numbers when syphoning gravel.

if you replace filter media as the manufacturer suggests, only do it partially, if you have 3 or 4 pieces of media, do one at a time.

is your filter strong enough for your tank size? do you have enough media in it?

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 01:08 AM
you will get a good population of bacteria in the gravel, I'm assuming the NO3 is coming from your tap water, and the fish are producing the NH3/NH4.

to get your water under controle I'd get some bio media and do good water changes say 30%-50% every 2 days to keep your ammonia in safe levels, you'll have to do this for about 2 months for your filter to cycle propperly.

Dont change your media, just leave it, after 2 months you can give it a quick rinse in tank water and you should be fine.