PDA

View Full Version : another new tank substrate question

as
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hi, I am re-entering the world of aquariums and want to establish a well planted discus tank. I have kept discus many years ago, although never in a true planted tank.

I have been reading through all this info on substrate's, and although it will definitely give the plants a better start, is really all that necessary?

I mean, for the time being I would just like a nicely planted out tank with a couple of discus and a few other tetra's. Is it all that bad if I just use up the kg's and kg's of aquarium gravel I still have lying around? It is in the general 3mm range?

Or can I just use this and add something on or under it to achieve optimum plant growth without having to outlay for an entire new substrate?

I will mention also that this is only my little 3ft tank, so I would not expect this to be a too long a term setup either, just something for the time being and to get started again in this hobby.

Thanks all in advance,

TW
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
if I just use up the kg's and kg's of aquarium gravel I still have lying around? It is in the general 3mm range? Or can I just use this and add something on or under it to achieve optimum plant growth without having to outlay for an entire new substrate? You can use something like 2cm layer of JBL Aquabasis Plus underneath a layer of around 4-5cm of your gravel. I've used that & found it works well. There are also other products you can put underneath like laterite. Laterite needs to be rinsed first, but JBL Aquabasis Plus doesn't. I found Laterite was more expensive too (but that was a couple of years ago).

Hope this helps a little.

ILLUSN
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
I've used almost every substrate there is for plants, soil (clay)/sand, laterite and gravel, vermiculite, JBL + gravel, JBL +sand, florish, eco-complete, florabase, dulpa ground.

all can work VERY well depending on what you want to do.

I would not use a soil, vermiculite or layered substrate (such as JBL or laterite) in a discus tank.

Discus need clean tanks with GOOD regular gravel vacs, gravel vacs in any of the above mentioned substrates will disrupt the layers clouding your water column (though JBL is the BEST of these at staying clear).

spend the money and use a propper substrate, I found flora base gave the best growth followed closely by eco complete and dulpa, if you want you can mix it with some 3mm gravel (i did with the flora base 70% flora base - 30% gravel) if you want to save some money.

if you are sure the tank will be short term only, why not plant your plants into pots and bury these in your gravel, in a few months or so you can just pull up the pots and replant the plants into their new permenant home

as
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Illusn, you mentioned flora base, so I can vac that without having it cloud the water?

I have considered the pot idea, and yes I say it will be short term but I suppose that is always an open ended statement. And who is to say that even if I upgrade shortly that this tank will not stay?

So I will do this one right, and at least it will give me the necessary experience using these materials as well.

as
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 03:55 AM
Ok I have made some decisions here and have ordered eco complete for my substrate.

plants, am thinking of purchasing a 'collection' from a certain plant supplier, not sure if I can name anyone on here, specifically for a 36inch discus tank. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Then lighting, am thinking of using T5 fluro, not exactly sure what my requirements are for this, as in watts/gallon or whatever the equation is. Any info again much appreciated.

Then for now was thinking just a DIY CO2 setup, as I have to draw the line somewhere with expenditure for now or I wont have any funds left for the fish!

Thanks for the advice so far and any more would be great.

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 04:03 AM
Hi as,
yes you can vac flora base and eco without clouding your water.

with your lighting try and get atleast 2 39w t5's over your tank, but more is always better. i'd shoot for 2.5w/g if your using T5's you'll be able to grow most things.

as for your CO2, a 3 footer isn't a big tank 2x 2L coke bottle yeast reacters would proablly do the trick, to save some more money just bubble the co2 into the intake of your canister filter. in a plant only 80L tank i got CO2 well above 40ppm with a sincle yeast reactor and an eheim 2213.

if not keep an eye on ebay for a second hand preassure system, you should be able to grab a bottle, reg, bubble counter reactor and tubing for under $200.

as
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 04:11 AM
Thanks heaps!

When I last had tanks, I relied a lot on the lfs advice, luckily though they were part of a fish club, which I became a member.

The advice I have received so far has been invaluable, proving my lfs has not a clue really, not even knowing what the products were when I asked about them.

I will be putting it all together over the next 2 weeks, and I will be constructing these yeast reactors along the way.

The lighting you have suggested is very close to what I had in mind, so I will get that all sorted now too.

Thank you very much for the help, and I will attempt to post pics as I get it underway!