PDA

View Full Version : small white worms that are all over my breeding tank

poimaster
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
Can't quite get a photo of these critters but they are small but visible to the eye. They are on the glass and everywhere. Little white worms that are about 50mm or less and the width of a hair. Read on another forum that these are common in breeding tanks because of the mucus production etc.

I don't like them though.

Wormed with the usual stuff to see if it had any effect, nothing.

Other advice has been that they do no harm, but wondering if anyone else has seen these little things proliferating. Even after a full clean of everything including filters they return after a day...

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds like planaria. Usually caused by poor water conditions and/or overfeeding.

Ado

Hollowman
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yep, as above, Planaria. Remedy is to stop feeding for a couple of days, or feed very lightly. Wipe down all sides of the glass and bottom and do a large water change. Do this until they have gone over the next few days.
Caused by over-feeding and poor husbandry. They will not harm your fish, and wormer does not kill them....PP will do the trick, but as stated, up your water changes, feed less. hth

Hollowman :)

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 06:31 AM
A good vac will help too.

Ado

MFG
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 06:51 AM
Can these worms be food to the fry?

cheers
MFG

Hollowman
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 07:15 AM
I wouldn't even go there. The reason they are there in the first place is due to poor maintenance and overfeeding. Do you really want to introduce this to a 'clean' breeding tank where the fry are very fragile ??? :shock:

Not something I will ever try. Stick to BBS for the first fry food.

Hollowman

godprint
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 04:25 AM
hi guys,

i had an empty tank, after a few days i saw quite abit of planaria inside.

the empty tank was suppose to be use for keeping 2mth old fries,

when i threw them in, they starting grabbing those worms as food... so far they haven't fall sick. but i am still observing. anyway, i changed water, and no more worms.

so i'm not sure if it's harmful cos they seem to like it very much

Hollowman
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hi God', what else was in the tank? did you use a seeded sponge in there? maybe the planaria came from that.
Whatever, they are still an indication of over-feeding/poor water, not saying this is the case here, but they come from somewhere if you know what I mean.
I would still not want fry eating them, BBS is still a first food for me.

Hollowman

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 08:45 AM
they come from my tap water, they're not a problem in small numbers(ie if you see 1 or 2 in your entire tank).

nice work getting the fry to eat then, nothing better than clean live food :)

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 09:57 AM
they come from my tap water, they're not a problem in small numbers(ie if you see 1 or 2 in your entire tank).

nice work getting the fry to eat then, nothing better than clean live food :)

Why would you ever want your fry or any of your fish to eat something that has absolutely no nutritional value over something that will aid in their growth and overall well being. Just because something is alive when its eaten does not mean its worth eating. You seem to be saying that their are pros to having planaria in your tank.

Ado

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:23 AM
They're not that bad, planaria eat microscopic bits of left over food, too small for most other things to eat. my fry also eat water fleas when they find their way into the tank and its never done them any harm. the fry will still get fed their normal meals, its better for them to eat constantly as they do when they are with their parents and any wriggling organisum has gotta contain some fat and protein.

just saying its not all doom and gloom if you see them, 1 or 2 visable planaria doesn't indicate a bad system, plague numbers however usually indicate over feeding.

also if they are breeding in your clean system they wont introduce any bugs that arn't already there, which is a major worry of mine with any live food.

Hollowman
Fri Jun 27, 2008, 12:06 PM
Good job they don't multiply when I over-eat :lol: :lol: I'd be in some real trouble!! :lol: