PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Discus

tomahawk
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:12 PM
One of my newly introduced Disc is trying to boss the whole tank.. which includes the older fishes and the current bosses. Does a new fish do that within such a short span of being introduced in the tank ? Its still not "mean & ruthless" bossing, but if it gets to that, what do I do ? They are all of the same size but this guy is very handsome 8-)

cityguy
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:17 PM
Taking the fish out, keeping it seperately and then reintroducing in the tank after a week may help.. also increasing the pH at 7.5 level will also help mellow down things a bit.

rwel4809
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
I think its best to just let them get on with it - IME They sort out their own pecking order and eventually only get aggro at feeding time.

separating the fish might just stress it out more and you might still have exactly the same problem when you reintroduce it anyway...

HTH.

Matt15
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 12:08 AM
I think its best to just let them get on with it - IME They sort out their own pecking order and eventually only get aggro at feeding time.

separating the fish might just stress it out more and you might still have exactly the same problem when you reintroduce it anyway...

HTH.

I'm also a believer to let nature take its course. Give them time and they will sort out who's boss.
Also consider wood and plants to provide sheltered spots in the tank and when you feed try and do it at both ends of the tank. E.g. I feed from two feeding cones which are at opposite ends of the tank.

AHC
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 12:30 AM
Dont increase the PH mate. Taking the fish out and changing the layout of the tank then reintroducing the fish works for some. Otherwise let them sort it out. keeping them healthy will help stop any runts from stressing, immunity diminishing and withering away.