PDA

View Full Version : 500Ltr Rain water/water storage tanks at bunnings

Mattzilla
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi i saw 500Ltr Rain water/water storage tanks at bunnings today that where pretty cheap if anyone was looking for something. they where on special for $69.

good value for a 500ltr water storage solution

saw it at the taren point store but they might have them elsewhere

cheers
matt

MFG
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 02:49 AM
Hi Matt,

with these rain water tank, where can i get the connector that connects the tank and the tube/pipe that runs the water from this tank to the fish tank?

is it called a bulkhead? or ?? please advise.

cheers
Scott

TW
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:23 AM
I was at that store too & thought I read on it that it wasn't suitable for drinking water. So, you might need to check if it's safe for aquarium use. I usually like to make sure I am using food grade water storage containers.

para
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 05:19 AM
Food grade in plastic mean better hygiene standards and reduced exposure to bacteria and fungi.

Do you think plastic in canister uses food grade?

Cheers

TW
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 05:55 AM
I guess so. Just know I was told by some others it's best to use food grade. If the item has on it that it's not suitable for storage of water for humans to drink, I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable using it for the discus. Maybe I'm just fussy, but better to be safe than sorry - that's my motto

:)

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 06:20 AM
I have 2 of these at home, they are NOT food grade, brand new, they smell terrible, i use mine for holding waste water out side (before it goes onto the garden), given a few weeks the smell goes away so they would proably be ok for aging water once they were washed (or even better soaked for a month) and allowed to sun dry.

you can diy a bulkhead for these from the plumbing section of bunnings, all you need is a 25mm pvc fitting with a male thread, and a second fitting with a female thread and a rubber washer to go in between, you then use some 25mm aquarium hose to join miltiple tanks together, the tanks come undrilled so technicly if you wanted to save a couple of dollars you could use 15mm fittings and something like a 16/22mm hose.

I would like to think that all equipment sold for aquarium use was made from food grade un-reactive plastic, its the only stuff i use for fish.

para
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Storage for human consume is a different field but for fish I don't think manufacturer will go out of their way to pay a little extra for food grade. I had a project not long ago in relation to aquarium product and guess what no food grade are used.

Cheers

Squid
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
Have 10 of these exact 500 lt tubs in action at the moment. I have trickle filters made out of bunnings $6 rubbish bins working them. They do stink a bit at first but I've had no problems keeping honey blue eyes in them, so what ever makes them stink - it doesn't seem to worry the fishies too much. Also raise discus in the summer (outdoors) in them.

Squid

TW
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I guess I might be a bit fussier than I need to be :oops:

But, I'm happy. My 2nd hand food grade 1,000L storage tank was only a little more expensive than the 500L bunnings one. It cost me $100 on ebay, which I thought was pretty good, for that size.

Would love to see your set ups Squid. They must be a pretty impressive size, if you are using bunnings rubbish bins as filters.

TW
Sun Jun 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
Bunnings Taren Point has dropped the price (on special). They were only $49 today. If I didn't already have my aging barrels set up, I'd seriously get one at this price, having been reassured knowing others here use them.

Seems a bargain at $49

coco
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 07:58 AM
well i got 2 of these , put out in the sun empty for 2 day smell all gone , and now i have fish in 1 and they are happy as ...and they are cheap as too at $49.

cheers magaret