PDA

View Full Version : 2 males 2 females, trying to get them to pair

jeff8428
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:40 PM
I recently purchased 2 large males about 9 ", I already have 2 large females about 6 and 7 inches. I added the males to the tank with the females and am trying to get them to pair off. The problem is the 2 males are getting pretty rough with each other as are the 2 females. I am worried about them injuring each other. They chase each other all over the tank and nip and kinda head butt each other, I have seen my other discus do this but these seem to be going at it worse than I have ever seen. It has been 3 days now and both pairs still going at it. Do I need to seperate them or just let them fight it out and pair up if they will, APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU COULD GIVE ME.

MFG
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 11:38 PM
I know one thing for sure to pair them up. i currently have 3 pairs but all in a same main tank.

Make them happy - that is the key. this include - feeling safe, happy with food, water condition(PH, temp) etc.

it is normal to be rough- this may means that they are trying to get the same partner and are fighting for her/him. they may fight for territory as well.

if you are worried about them fighting, make sure that there is no sharp wood, objects in the tank. they can dash from A to B in a very fast and unexpected direction when another discus try to "poke" them. If they accidentally hit the sharp object, then here comes the worrying issues.

also try to give them some places to hid. behind some PVC or wood or plants.

regards
Scott MFG

Hollowman
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'd just like to see a 9" fish for starters. :shock: Please post a pic with the tape measure on it.

Hollowman :)

samir
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'd just like to see a 9" fish for starters. :shock: Please post a pic with the tape measure on it.

Hollowman :)

me too :shock: