PDA

View Full Version : Lethergic Discus

tomahawk
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
After starting my new tank I introduced my first lot of Discus who are doing great now 8-) I have again introduced 2 more fishes last week one of which is a cobalt blue. All fishes in the tank are of the same size..

The cobalt blue after 24 hrs of being introduced in the tank, started to act a big boss, chasing most of the other old bosses around and was an enjoyable sight.

In the past 3 days, the guy seems to have put itself in a corner, the fins are not as flared up as it used to be in the past week, and bullying has completely stopped. Its eating well, no problems with that, but the clor seemed to have gone about 50% and has taken a blueish-black tint. What could be the reason ? Is it still acclaimating itself in the new water ? All other fishes including the marlboro red introduced along with the blue, are doing well.

Do I need to do a major water change ? pH and ammonia is well within limit and tanks temperature is stable too.

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
Check your water Tom. Is there any reading of ammonia or nitrite.

If yes, do a major water change.

If no, do a major water change anyway.

Discus do best in very clean water. A water change is the very first thing to do if your fish looks a bit off colour. Remember they come from some of the cleanest waters in the world. The amazon has a very low bacteria count (almost non existent) and is constantly being flushed with clean water.

Totally different to our tanks. So sometimes clean water alone helps them to fight off any bugs that may be worrying them.

Keep us posted if you notice any other changes.

Hollowman
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
What quarrentine procedure did you follow before introducing the new fish? :?:

Hollowman

cityguy
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with Merrilyn. Some water changes anyway will do you no harm. I do 25% water change every day and 50% on weekends. Keeping the water clean is the "magic formula" of keeping your fishes healthy and in color & condition.

Is it possible that your fish is having some internal parasite or bacteria related problem ? I have also heard that fishes that are made to look colorful by giving hormones for color, lose their lusture and shine after a few days when steroid is discontinued, that could be a reason with you too, if the LFS was using some kind of hormone ..

tomahawk
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you all for the help