PDA

View Full Version : Shadeing plants

mr troph
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:55 AM
:) G'day I'm after a surface growing plant to provide shade for my Discus and hatchets. I remember one I think it was called water letuce with roots suspended in the water. Does anyone no where I can find this plant and other suitable shadeing plants.
Thanks.

Todd

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
water letuce is a noxious weed and is banned in all the eastern states, why not try a lilly in a pot, the surface leaves will throw shade down below.

fish_r
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:53 PM
these have been getting round in the LFS in Adelaide for a while. they are easy to grow and multiply pretty quick. i took them out of my tank cause they were shading all my other plants too much.
the photo doesn't show it but they have lots of roots underneath and are a floating plant.

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/ccornuta.jpg

waitaki
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:11 PM
they are a real nusiance - once you get them in there they are hard to get out - altho they are very effective for shading

fish_r
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
i think u might be thinking of something else waitaki as these are quite large and easy to remove from the tank if u want them gone.

Matt15
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:00 AM
I find the tiger lotus very good and also martii. Both these plants provide shaded areas in my tank which the discus use alot.

AHC
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 11:45 PM
Ive always wanted to try this -

Eared Watermoss
Name: Salvinia auriculata Care Gravel Light
Origin: Tropical Americas Medium None Bright

TW
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:21 AM
Well there's always duckweed. Never had it myself, but I think it multiplies really fast & might be difficult to get rid of it, if you don't want it anymore.

It's sort of like little individual leaves that float around on the water surface. As & when the cover gets too thick, you scoop out the extra with your net.

Riccia does the same too. Sometimes, when I am trying to increase my riccia stock, I trim the riccia & let the scraps float about on the water surface. Within a short time, the riccia multiplies. The issues in regards to difficulty of getting rid of it & in regards to thinning it would be the same for duckweed.

I find that all it takes is just one little piece you missed scooping out with your net (if you're trying to get rid of it) & next thing you know, you have a nice batch of riccia growing again. You can get rid of it all, just keep removing it with your net when you see it.

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 06:43 AM
TW if ever you want sell some excess ricca drop me a pm, after ALOT of the stuff for my next scaped tank.

TW
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 07:03 AM
PM sent