PDA

View Full Version : ottocinclus

luisprado
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:11 PM
I have some ottos in my tank and just recently, they started bothering the Discus. They keep chasing the discus around the tank and trying to attach themselves to the discus. Is this alright or should I remove them from the tank? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

nag
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 08:39 PM
Hi Luis:

Immediately remove Ottos...
Ottos eat discus body slime...so does SAEs and the rest of the bunch...
None of The Algae Eaters are compatible with discus except: Bristlenose Catfish

Bye,

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:05 PM
nags right

B/N are great for discus

better of to remove the ottos

jim
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:19 PM
OH SHXI...I just introduce half dozen of ottos into my tank...

weird
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:48 PM
I had 3 otos in my large tank, after losing 2 for some unknown reason I removed the other one back to his old home where he is happy. I think my temp at that time was too high for them.

During that time only once I thought I saw an attempted lunge and attach to a discus but the discus knocked him straight off ... so I don't know if it was an accident on the otos part.

Kev has stated else where that he has not seen any problems with discus and otos.

Anyway I hopefully will have some B/Ns available in about 4 weeks (waiting for them to get some size and I am enjoying the raising experience) so I might be able to help you there Jim.

OK guys, I am in the sunshine coast for 4 days with the family clan so won't be that active until next week. Everyone have a fantastic Christmas !

fozziwozzi
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 12:21 AM
I havent had an y problems with SAE from my experience

and i have had ottos before but they died too soon for anything to happen

dreamer
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 12:32 AM
otto is touchy little fish sometimes they just die for no reason, if they made thru the first few weeks then they will be ok.

sae only good when they are young, as they get older they learnt that fish food taste better than algae

Budi_Armyn
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 02:23 AM
Nag is right, better to take out otto ASAP! It is better to introduce corry as a tankmate for discus. They never chasing discus nor bite their fins.
BTW, dreamer, If I'm not mistaken is it a Heckle or Heckle Cross discus in your picture? Did you breed them?

best regards,

budi armyn

dreamer
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 03:13 AM
i wish they are mine ....
its quite hard to get wild discus here ...or if they are here ... i just cant afford them

not many fish shop selling cory in indo, in fact when i was there last feb, most shop selling marine fish only a few shop at sumenep have freshwater stock ..rather disappointed though

Budi_Armyn
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 03:54 AM
I think you should tell me when you are coming to Indonesia next time!
Better a few weeks before, cause I'm an employee! Maybe I can arrange my time, so I can accompany you and show some good fish shop! Or maybe I can arrange your tour to some Indonesian discus breeder.
Sumenep is suitable for ordinary fish lovers, not for discus-mania! Of course, if you come into one shop to another, sometimes here and there you will find some rare species, such as Cherry Barb or Dwarf Pencilfish. But no discus!
Regarding the Heckle, yes they are hard to find in Indo also!
Years ago, I get a wild male blue Heckel. But I never succeed in pairing the fish with others.

regards,

budi armyn

regards,

budi armyn

dreamer
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 04:24 AM
i will be back on next june or july. im affraid visiting discus breeder place will make me want to stay there ...please get me a job in jkt :):)

i went to gading fish expo for koi ...some of them are quite impressive.

shops at grogol ...nothing but half dead lou han ...
but one shop has tonnes of birchir, ray and catfish. i go there mainly for equipment, waaaaay cheaper than here in syd.

missed the old days at petojo and petak 9 :)

Budi_Armyn
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 04:54 AM
Ooo...oo! I see that you are already know quite many places in Jakarta!
Well, Grogol is actually quite a good place to buy equipment! There are 3-4 fish shop. Most of them are wholesalers actually (Aneka and Laris).
In Jakarta, actually there is one shop located in Jatinegara. I don't know wheter they are still exist or not, since in the last few years I have been very busy with my jobs. So I don't have enough time to visit fish shop like the old days. I just go to nearby fish shop to buy blood worm, sometimes I even buy it from friends.
Anyway, if you visit Jakarta next year, please feel free to contact me!

regards,

budi armyn