PDA

View Full Version : New arrivals..

Tracey73
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 11:28 AM
Well I am somewhat of a newbie to discus, only had mine 6 months, had no intentions of breeding them or anything... Saturday I discovered eggs in the tank, today I have babies :shock: Feel like I have no business having them, but obviously Im doing something right :roll: They have also laid a second lot of eggs today!
The parents are Red Marlboro and Blue Turquoise.

scott bowler
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 11:45 AM
well done tracey , you must have the water in good shape,and looking after them in all the right ways good work , we need pics lol,
are they in a comm tank with other fish? if so what is in there and are the parents looking after them ?

Tracey73
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Scott :)

Well I did have corys in there but when I found the eggs I moved them out into another tank, in which the Corys laid eggs today! I am currently cycling my 450 litre, unfortunately it is not ready yet so I still have one other discus in with the parents, he is not bothering them at all, he is the runt of the bunch and likes staying in his own little territory, fortunately the parents have the babies on the other side of the tank where he never bothers going. The parents are being fantastic, extremely diligent and taking care of them 100%

scott bowler
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 11:57 AM
sounds good i hope it all works out for you , if not dont worry it will happen again , good luck keep us posted

Tracey73
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks :wink: I will just take each day as it comes and see what happens.. having baby discus was not part of the plan lol but obviously my guys are happy & its a signal that Im taking care of them correctly :) Hubby thinks im insane with the way I fuss over my guys and the amount of work and time I put into them, but its the only way to have them in my book :wink:

scott bowler
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:19 PM
very true keep up the good work, as for hubby hehe my wife thinks i spend to much time and money on my fish lol, but keeps me home and happy ,

Matt15
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:31 AM
Thats awesome news Tracey.... congrats mate. As Scott said your discus must love the water and tank setup. If you get time post some picies and be sure to keep us updated.... =)

Tracey73
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks Matt, I have never been good at getting clear pictures but I will try! Once the babies attach themselves to the parents I will see if I can get some pics. So far all is going well, the parents are so attentive and they are being really sweet to each other as well.. its so cute! They are doing so well for first timers :wink:

waitaki
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:33 AM
Lucky you Tracey! What a neat surprise! How are they going now?

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
Well done Tracey.

Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

Leave the light on overnight, so the parents can see and defend their babies.

Congratulations :P

Tracey73
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys :)
It was a surprise, thats for sure! I have been putting a small lamp on near the tank the last couple nights but now the babies are close to latching onto the parent, I will leave one of the main tank lights on so they do not get lost! It is hard to count how many there are but I counted at least 14 :)
Can anyone give me any insight as to what colours the babies will turn out if all goes well? :roll:

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:10 PM
I would think you'll have mostly red turquoise.

But let's get them past being fish snacks first :P

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck.

Tracey73
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks Merrilyn.. hopefully they will not become snacks! :?

scott bowler
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 08:01 AM
tracey any updates how are they going ?

Tracey73
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:22 AM
They did not make it :? All was going really good until it came time for the babies to latch onto the parents and the parents just could not get the concept, they kept spitting the babies back onto the wall and eventually the babies just slowly disappeared.
They have had 3 more batches of eggs since then, they lay them every Saturday. The latest lot were due to hatch today but when I got home from work, they were nowhere to be seen :roll:
Is it mean to not put the pair in a breeding tank? I do not particularly want babies for the simple reason that I would not be able to give them up :oops: and having 100's of discus is not a path I want to go down.. but at the same time I do not want to harm the parents in any emotional or physical way.. any thoughts would be appreciated :wink:

cityguy
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:53 AM
Well I am somewhat of a newbie to discus, only had mine 6 months, had no intentions of breeding them or anything... Saturday I discovered eggs in the tank, today I have babies :shock: Feel like I have no business having them, but obviously Im doing something right :roll: They have also laid a second lot of eggs today!
The parents are Red Marlboro and Blue Turquoise.

Great News...congrats. How many adult discus in the tank ? Photo's of the fry and parents would be great .. :P