PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank temperature

cityguy
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 01:51 PM
It says that Discus tank temp should be at range between 26 & 31 °C ( 79 to 88 °F ). Recently some Discus keepers told me to keep it at 29-30°C is best, rather than 27-28 range. Are there any benefits in keeping it at the higher side ? :roll:

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:10 PM
faster metabolisum, reduced bacterial population (for a while anyway).

just keep the food up to them and the water changes if your going to keep them at 30C

cityguy
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Illusn, so you "approve" at 30 ? Faster metabolism means, fishes grows faster .. ! ?

Hollowman
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:18 PM
I keep mine at 29.5 -30 City.

Keeping them at lower temps can have the effect of slowing their metabolism, and therefore leaving them suseptable to attack from parasites and bacteria like ich.
Raising the temp to 29.5 -30 does to a certain extent keep them in top condition to which they are comfortable, it is also a temp where some bacteria cannot tollerate living. The metabolic rate of the fish is higher, so it eats more, and will be generally more active and eager.
For some medicating conditions, just a tempory raising of the temp for a few days can aid healing from illness. I have done this sucessfully, lifting to 33 degrees.

Of course, some tankmates and plants cannot tollerate these higher temps, so you have to choose accordingly.

hth
I am sure others will have opinions too.

Hollowman

cityguy
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks Hollowman, will try at 30 and let you know in a few days..what I observe

Hollowman
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:31 PM
I get my fish from Paul Lucas at Discus-South, from Jeffery Yang, he always has all his fish at 30, and most of the most experienced keepers I know also set at 30. Seems to be the norm for us, and I wouldn't recommend any other temp, it is 30 for me period. I am sure your fish will thank you for it. :wink:

H