PDA

View Full Version : Gill membrane sticking out - what to do?

ivo
Wed Jun 04, 2008, 01:55 PM
if anyone could suggest a treatment for one of my sick discus it would be mostly appreciated. one of my discus is breathing heavily on both side with membrane sticking out. i think it is a bacteria infection and i have tried the following treatments over a three weeks period. each treatment was done separately. i tried prazi, then "waterlife" product, metro, and then broad spectrum which is an anti biotic but none work.

could anyone suggest a treatment for such inflame gill with membrane sticking out? thank you.

dean30bb
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 04:59 AM
hey
ya i had the same thing with my angel fish breathing heavy and u could see the gill membrain and it terned out to be a gill parasite so mabey u could have that is it only the one discus or all of them

and i used para-cide to fix mine.

Hollowman
Fri Jun 06, 2008, 09:26 AM
IVO, I would go with the advice Graham gave you on Simply, he knows his stuff.
:)

H

samir
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 02:54 AM
are the gills white ? or normal or red ?

ivo
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 03:31 AM
hi samir, gills are normal red color, no cotton wool looking things on them. membrane is hanging out and when i read andrew soh's book it says that means the gills are quite damaged and discus unable to close the membrane. i have now tried another anti biotics that Graham suggested. Since the fish has been ill with the gills for 3 -4 weeks now so i don't have much hope to rescue it.

do you have any suggestion in terms of treatment? by the way, do you kow where can i buy potassium permanganate? thank you for your reply on my fish problem.

samir
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 09:14 AM
What does Andrew say about treatment ?

ivo
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 09:33 AM
Too complicated!

ivo
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 09:35 AM
Andrew's method also involves using PP which i am a bit scared to use it.

rwel4809
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 10:10 AM
You can get PP from most chemists

Good Luck :D

ivo
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 10:33 AM
thank you rwe4809.

samir
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 10:42 AM
i have now tried another anti biotics that Graham suggested.

what antibiotic are you using ? how long ? maybe it will take a few days for results to start showing ?

Andrew prefers 2mg/l PP for 24 hours, at that dose make sure you have a spotless tank.

ivo
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 11:05 AM
hi samir, i am now using Tetracyline anti biotic which is one of the three anti biotic Graham listed for me to try. i could only locate to purchase Tetracyline so using this one atm. Today is the second day and the bottle information suggests a full strength treatment on day one, then at a reduced dose for another 3 to 4 days. hopefully it works. it is only one of my discus has this gill problem, and i suspect it is a bacteria infection gone very wrong for this sick one. it is in a hospital tank atm but would you recommend me to treat the whole tank just in case? thanks.

p.s. i read several posts here about how to use PP bath and as Merrilyn said it is not a treatment for the light hearted person, which is me so thats why i have not game enough to use PP yet.

samir
Sat Jun 07, 2008, 02:25 PM
the 2mg pp should be ok. i think most antibiotics should be used for 10 days, check with someone

ivo
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:43 AM
thank you samir for your advice. have done 4 days anti biotic treatment and there is sign of recovery. about half of the hanging out membrane have gone back inside the gill plate but i will continue to full treatment cycle as per rule of using anti biotic. thanks again for taking time to assist.

Hollowman
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 08:22 AM
A photo might help Ivo.

iT SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE THROWN EVERYTHING AT IT IN A SHORT SPACE OF TIME. mAYBE GIVE IT A COUPLE OF WEEKS OF JUST GOOD CLEAN WATER FOR A REST MIGHT HELP.
sOMETIMES LONGER TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED, USING A MED FOR A SHORT TIME, IF IT DOESN'T DO THE TRICK IN A FEW DAYS AND THEN STOPPED, CAN CAUSE AN IMMUNITY TO BUILD UP IN A FISH/bacteria/parsite, MAKING IT USELESS.

Oops! I'm not shouting, just had the cap locks on :lol:

Hollowman