PDA

View Full Version : Lonely Discus

ellwa
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a 3year old blue turq who recently lost his little girlfriend to an burnt breeding tube, which lead to an infection of her eggs that she couldn't lay...

I am wondering if him being lonely could be the root cause of him going a bit funny, as he is the only large discus in my 4x14x20.

All my water params are fine, nothing has changed in the tank since before she died, and he is just being a bit strange.

sometimes he will go really really dark, but then when we approach the tank he will go back to his normal colouring.

we're currently worming the whole tank, and he is eating, amd swimming as normal.

I am just really curious as to if adding another fairly mature female, about the same size, would calm him down, or is it something that I am missing?

none of the other inhabitants seem sick, the 3 baby discus are all eating, and all are being wormed/treated for flukes atm.

any help would be great, as I don't want to lose him.

thanks,

ellwa+kt

Hollowman
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:54 AM
Sad to hear that your female died.
I am sure that the fish DO miss a partner, although not in the sence that we know. I have seen this too with pairs that I have split and sold on. They seem to loose general interest in life and just linger with no intent or enthusiasm.
Possibly introducing (after QT of course) a well matched and sized female might help. Got to be worth a go. :)

Hollowman

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:02 PM
add 2 females so he has a choice, once he pairs up you can move the un needed fish on.

tomahawk
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 03:10 PM
Yes thats a coul idea. U can add 2 females to the tank and move back the left alone to the LFS once a pair has been formed.. ofcourse U need to know the LFS that U would be returning a fish in a couple of months..