PDA

View Full Version : how much do full size discus eat

jeff8428
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:53 PM
I recently bought 5 large discus 4 years old. They are about 8-9 inches long and very "wide" seem really health (http://webmaxsearch.com?qq=health)y. They seem to not eat any more than my 9 month old 3-4 inch discus. is this normal. I would have thought they would eat more. They only seem to eat about half of a frozen bloodworm or beefheart cube each time I feed. Does their appetite stay about the same as they grow larger. I feed twice a day. Thanks in advance for your help.

jeff8428
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:56 PM
I recently bought 5 large discus 4 years old. They are about 8-9 inches long and very "wide" seem really healthy. They seem to not eat any more than my 9 month old 3-4 inch discus. is this normal. I would have thought they would eat more. They only seem to eat about half of a frozen bloodworm or beefheart cube each time I feed. Does their appetite stay about the same as they grow larger. I feed twice a day. Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry about the first post I added a attachment somehow accidently

Matt15
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 04:24 AM
Mate they are no different to other animals and humans. Adults will always eat less and juvi's will always eat more. Juvi's need more food to grow and develop. Also feeding juvi discus small meals more often is best for optimum growth.

jeff8428
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:05 PM
Once they are grow do you normally feed once a day. I recently purchased 5 that are 4 years old.

Matt15
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:19 PM
Mate once a day would be fine. Just ensure you still feed them a mix of different foods and not too much.

cityguy
Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:57 AM
Twice a day seems to be a much better and logical choice :) . I would have maintained that, rather than once a day :roll: .

Also, just to suggest you for food of adult a much better choice is Krill, a shrimp-like crustacean. A lot of people says that its one of the best food for adult discus :idea:

discusluver
Wed Jun 04, 2008, 12:12 PM
hi there i would say twice a day is ideal but once a day will still be ok
and lots of variety brine shrimp,bloodworm, beefheart ,discus deluxe,vege diet all frozen and good quality granule type food and they love spurlina stick or discs they all see these foods over a week period and seem to happily eat all types of food but they do have there favs like bloodworm and the cat fish all get fat on the left overs
i also run loads of filtration to support the heavy feeding
cheers :D

cityguy
Wed Jun 04, 2008, 02:28 PM
hi there i would say twice a day is ideal but once a day will still be ok
and lots of variety brine shrimp,bloodworm, beefheart ,discus deluxe,vege diet all frozen and good quality granule type food and they love spurlina stick or discs they all see these foods over a week period and seem to happily eat all types of food but they do have there favs like bloodworm and the cat fish all get fat on the left overs
i also run loads of filtration to support the heavy feeding
cheers Dtwice a day is ideal .. ur right pal.

Davo
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:11 PM
Once a day is fine.

cityguy
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
Once a day is fine. Right, for adult discus..