PDA

View Full Version : sex my peps please

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:49 AM
ok i have 6 peps ranging from 6-11cm

none of them have any bristles down the middle of the nose

the one with the most bristles is at the bottom of the first pic

i know the smaller ones could still be males but none are showing any male signs

please help with sexing them

cheers
matt

discusluver
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:47 PM
hi there i have a colony of pepps and i agree with ya there pepps seem to be a lot harder to sex than commons and albinos the guess i would take is that you have 1 definate boy maybe 2or3 and the rest look female, watch them and see is the only way to tell for sure if they look no more developed with the bristles by 8cms they would be girls to me, and i have found it tricky to get females so keep em they are gold if they turn out to be!
have a gr8 day :D

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:48 PM
no expert but to have a guess I'd say the broader fish are the females.

zar
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:15 PM
I had one of my "females" develop its first vertical bristles along the head after 11 months or so..up to then i thought it's a female but no luck :(
I've asked the same question here about my peps and looked up info on catfish forums, i'm no expert either, but i'd say the big fat one in the picture could be a female.
look for the roundness in the belly area, also females eyes area apparently closer to the mouth than of the males.
And apparently they're sexable by shape once the white disappears from their fins.