PDA

View Full Version : Prazi with tetras and loaches

rwel4809
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 06:29 AM
I am just checking whether it is safe to dose my planted tank with prazi as it says that it shouldn't be used with tetras or loaches on the packet...

I am trying to get rid of flukes, I hesitate to use pp because I think that there are flukes on my SAE's and tetras too and don't fancy the idea of trying a dip on them as well...

I treated the discus separately for flukes with prazi in a hospital tank a couple of months back but I reckon they have come back because they were still in the community tank...

Let me know if you have had any tetra or loach deaths from prazi...

Robert

rwel4809
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:22 PM
anyone??

tanzy
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hello rwel4809,

I know that im not an expert on fish but in my experience with prazi, I have always treated my tetras (rummy's, neons, cardinals) and they have been fine with the treatment, but I have always removed any loaches and catfish. I was told that its ok to treat these fish at half strength.

I hope this helps

Kell

rwel4809
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks Kell,

that sounds like a good plan, the loaches and catfish aren't scratching so I'll put them in the quaranteen while I treat the others.

Robert

cityguy
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:59 AM
Prazi is extremely effective for the treatment of external flukes, liver flukes, internal parasites and internal worms in Discus and tropical fish.

Prazi is also a one time treatment and because it is so gentle, it does NOT require any water changes after treatment.

Hope this helps :-)

TW
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Robert

I've treated with prazi & Big L when cardinal tetras are in the tank. I know the instructions say with prazi it is not safe with tetras, I always find when I move my cardinals, that's when I lose them. Never lost them with the prazi though. That's just my experience though & I hope it works the same for you.

rwel4809
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks Robyn..

tomahawk
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:22 PM
I think Tanzy and Cityguy also deserved the same "thanks" !!

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:47 PM
prazi is safe on tetras clown loaches, kulli loaches and dwarf (chain
) loaches.

to be effective you need 2 treatments given 1 week apart, 48hrs after each treatment, claen you filter to remove any cysts (these are uneffected by prazi).

directions sate to do a water change 48hrs after each treatment AND clean your filter.

rwel4809
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:40 PM
I think Tanzy and Cityguy also deserved the same "thanks" !!

I did thank tanzy (Kell)

Cityguy's info was a little dodgy - as Illusn says a filter clean and water change is recommended after 48 hrs - and it looks like he lifted it from elsewhere without acknowledging the original source... :lol: Anyway it was a bit rude not to thank him for trying to help...

So thanks Cityguy...

:)

rwel4809
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:42 PM
Cheers ILLUSN - what do you reakon about BNs , Otos and whiptails... are they safe too?

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:24 AM
my commons albinos and peps have never had a problem with prazi, neither have my royal whips or common whips cant say the same for my ottos, something keeps eating them in my tank ?????