PDA

View Full Version : Water changes through Canister filters

AHC
Fri May 30, 2008, 03:02 AM
Hoy Hoy,

Im curious to know if anyone with tall tanks have joined a hose and tap to a T-section on the outflow of their canister filters to refill their tanks? This way pumping aged water to the canister where the canister will pump the water into the tank. Im thinking this may be better then relying on a pump to try and make the height of a tall tank? Will the T-section cause too much ristriction if any? (i guess it depends where the tap is on the inline) or is it best getting a powerful pump to pump the water to the top of the tank for refill?

AHC
Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:42 AM
Was also thinking about wacking on a tap connector to the aged water barrel hose so that during water changes i can discounnect the inflow tap (taking water from the tank into the canister) and joining the aged water hose to the canister for it to pump to the tank. Is anyone else doing this?

Nitecongt
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:55 AM
sounds like a good one.

Bad Inferno
Mon Jun 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
AHC....thats what I do to change my water. one 3/8" hose tee'd to the outlet of my canister. filter/gravity drains the tank and I use a small pump to pump water from the barrel back into the tank. Its automated now however a couple of manual valves and you would be away.

rob

AHC
Mon Jun 23, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Rob. So draining the tank you use that tee'd hose to drain out. When filling the tank back up - do you use the teed hose into the canister outlet pipe too? i do you pump it to the top of the tank? Just wanted to clarify, thanks mate.

Im pretty much going to organise mine so i gravel vac with a long hose going out the dinning room sliding doors and into the garden. But filling back up i just open up the valve that pushes the water into the canister's outlet pipe and let it fill up that way.

Bad Inferno
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
Aaron,
yes I fill by this line as well however...you cannot pump back into the tank very fast as you will restricting (fighting against) the flow of the canister back into the tank. In my case its fully automated with solenoid valves. As an idea I ahve an ehiem 2028 and a 450 L tank. It takes 35 minutes to drain 50 litres and 70 minutes to refill. I use a 24VDC small pump that is used for a water filter system that I got from ebay. Slowly adding water to the tank allows me not to have to heat the water.

AHC
Tue Jun 24, 2008, 10:10 PM
Sounds great mate. Thanks for the info. One day when i own my own house i plan on having a an automated setup with plumming through the wall. I think i may have read a thread on your setup quite a while ago too?

Thanks again :cheers