PDA

View Full Version : Constipated discus, Lumpy faeces

ellwa
Fri May 30, 2008, 01:28 AM
Hi,

Have an adult discus that has been quite healthy for 2 years, but since losing his girlfriend to a case of burnt breeding tube he hasn't been too happy.

we've noticed him occasionally flicking or hiding behind stuff, but just noticed that when he passed poo, instead of it being stringy like all my other fish, it is solid and lumpy.

He seems mostly happy, is eating ok, but he just looks really uncomfortable while trying to pass it.

he did go quite dark briefly also, but reverted to his usual colouring within about 5 minutes.

6.6ph
28.8C
low nitrates, no amonia, no nitrite
lightly planted
no CO2 injection
air stones on 24/7
lights 8.5 hrs/day
eheim 2028 +eheim 2224w/ 18W UV
220L

will try and get a photo of said poop, but it is proving to be harder than first thought

AHC
Fri May 30, 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi mate,

Sorry to hear about your unwell friend. The flicking sounds like flukes and as for the consitpation, pea's are useful in their food. How long since your last Prazi treatment?

ellwa
Fri May 30, 2008, 03:22 AM
Have never treated with prazi.

I spose I'll get some from the LFS...

ho hum

cheers

Hollowman
Fri May 30, 2008, 08:37 AM
:roll: and I was thinking that stringy poo's were bad!! :roll: I think I would rather see a larger lumpy poo that is dark in colour. Photos please. But does sound like a fluke problem with the flicking.
If you think it is having problems passing faeces then you can add some Epsom Salts at 3 teaspoons/10 gallons (might be best in a qt tank) for a few hours. This will hopefully clear out any lumps :wink:

hth

Hollowman