PDA

View Full Version : EOI - Baby Discus

BigDaddyAdo
Thu May 29, 2008, 03:51 AM
Im interested in purchasing some baby discus. Let me know details and price.

Thanks

Ado

discus21
Thu May 29, 2008, 04:46 AM
you and everyone else on this forum

it would be great to hear
from breeders continuously
when they breed and want to sell stock
but
noone advertises on this forum

discus21

AHC
Thu May 29, 2008, 04:57 AM
You could always go straight to our friendly sponsors. Ado, extreme get monthly stock. They have just relocated so give them a call first.

norto
Thu May 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
G'Day all I have some Snow white babies at the moment that are ready to sell if there is anyone interested.Would probably have to arrange pickup though as I have never used freight before.
Regards,
Norto.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu May 29, 2008, 10:38 PM
Where is O'connell?

Ado

norto
Fri May 30, 2008, 05:22 AM
About 20mins south east of Bathurst in the Central West.
Regards,
Norto

jimmilfish
Fri May 30, 2008, 07:14 AM
Hey norto,
Any pics of fry and parents ? How much are you asking?
cheers
jim

Cichlabxr
Fri May 30, 2008, 11:48 PM
you and everyone else on this forum

it would be great to hear
from breeders continuously
when they breed and want to sell stock
but
noone advertises on this forum

discus21

Does anyone know why this is the case?

Obviously serious breeders have contacts they regularly supply but what about advancing the hobby.

I thought one purpose of forums like this was to encourage people to join the hobby.
There seems to be a distinct shortage of available stock from verified sources.

Regards Martin

ILLUSN
Sat May 31, 2008, 01:28 AM
these fish arn't the easiest to breed and raise, hence why the price of them is so high, i myself have 3 pairs that spawn regulary and i'd raise maybe 1 batch every 6 months.

also remember that most of us who do breed them are VERY fussy with what we sell, i'd cull 70% of my fry due to traits that i dont like , basicly if i wouldn't buy the fish i wont sell it, I like to hope that most breeders share the same mind set.

the bulk of discus in this contry come from overseas, where massive farms with EXTREAMLY good stock produce some OK fry, most of what we get in oz is OK fish, I'd expect an breeder to sell better than OK fish, anthing less than ok should be culled.

norto
Sat May 31, 2008, 01:57 AM
these fish arn't the easiest to breed and raise, hence why the price of them is so high, i myself have 3 pairs that spawn regulary and i'd raise maybe 1 batch every 6 months.

also remember that most of us who do breed them are VERY fussy with what we sell, i'd cull 70% of my fry due to traits that i dont like , basicly if i wouldn't buy the fish i wont sell it, I like to hope that most breeders share the same mind set. .

I agree 100% but just remember people have different tastes so what looks good to one can look terrible to another.

Will post pics and price as soon as I can.( at work at the moment)
Regards,
Norto

discus21
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 02:43 AM
this breaks my heart (unless they are suffering)

to think that 90% of us only want them for display
in our hobby tanks and really do not care
if they are not perfect

isnt it better to let some live and give pleasure to others
especially if you were going to kill them anyway

i just dont understand

discus21

Matt15
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 04:24 AM
to think that 90% of us only want them for display
in our hobby tanks and really do not care
if they are not perfect

isnt it better to let some live and give pleasure to others
especially if you were going to kill them anyway

Mate breeders are damed if they DO and damed if they DON'T. Especially this day in age most people are pedantic about quality and getting what they paid for. ILLUSN is right in selling and raising only the best of his batches. This also helps the breeder establish a reputable name for him/herself.

As for Discus being hard to breed I've lost approx 400+ fry over the past two weeks for a good example. The lighter colours of Albinos and Red Melons just aren't dark enough for the fry to attach having no stress bars. I'm training and working on a surrogate parent atm so fingers crossed in the next batch they will attach and the new parent won't eat them.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 02:07 AM
About 20mins south east of Bathurst in the Central West.
Regards,
Norto

Tempting but probably just a little further than i want to travel.

Ado

ozarowana
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 02:47 AM
It also takes a lot of time and tank space to grow out a spawn properly.

Water restrictions aren't helping atm either.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 04:29 AM
It also takes a lot of time and tank space to grow out a spawn properly.

Water restrictions aren't helping atm either.

So wouldnt selling them of at a smaller size negate the need for so much tank space, water, time, etc?

Ado

norto
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 04:43 AM
The thing is when the discus are about 5cm and bigger they are more likely to handle the change in conditions ...any smaller than this and you risk them not surviving the change in environment.
Norto.