PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Swordplants

Gribbs01
Tue May 27, 2008, 05:58 AM
I planning on setting up my 400L discus tank with a number of broad leaf amazon sword plants ie 8+ plants. I have been sucessfully growing stem plants in the tank for 15 months. I did use Dupla root when I set up the tank I was thinking of adding the Seachem root tablets into the substrate as well, is this a good idea? Also should I continue to use Seachem Excel and Flourish as per stem plants. One last one question, would CO2 be benefical? I have two yeast reactors that I have been using.

ILLUSN
Tue May 27, 2008, 06:28 AM
The root tabs will do wonders for your swords, swords are VERY heavy root feeders, in all honesty with the right nutrients at the roots you can practicly ommit any water column ferts.

excell will give them the boost they need interms of carbon, though co2 is always better, with good light and co2 expect 1-2 new leaves every week with a good sword.

just remember that these plant get big, 50-60cm tall and 30-40cm across, 8 swords will need a very big tank, i grow 5 in a 6x2x2.

Gribbs01
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the response ILLUSN, I have decided to cut back a little onthe number of swordplants.

I'm after some advise on the most suitable algae eating fish for this set up. I was thinking of have a BN's SAE and Otto catfish but I have heard that the BN's will eat the swords and teh SAE may nip at the discus. That leaves the Otto catfish, not sure how good they are at eating algae?

Thanks

Gribbs01
Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the response ILLUSN, I have decided to cut back a little onthe number of swordplants.

I'm after some advise on the most suitable algae eating fish for this set up. I was thinking of having BN's SAE's and Otto catfish but I have heard that the BN's will eat the swords and the SAE may nip at the discus. That leaves the Otto catfish, not sure how good they are at eating algae?

Thanks